Converting my 50gal FW to FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So i added my salt and turned on the skimmer and powerhead, but something doesnt seem right... Does this all look ok? Also should the intake be fully submerged? This is as low down as i can get it...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440467406.794887.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440467420.765072.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440467432.338831.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440467458.798718.jpg

Must... Resist... MTS!!

Things look just fine...but you'll have to take water out when the rock and sand goes into the tank thanks to displacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cool, thanks! So it doesn't matter if the pipes aren't fully submerged?

Picking up my live rock later today cannot wait to scape! Tank has been empty a few days and i miss it already!

Must... Resist... MTS!!

As long as it isn't sucking air or dropping the return water back into the tank in a way that it is splashing or causing tons of micro bubbles in the tank things will be just fine.

Cool :)

Just checked and my salinity is 1023/35ppt. Not bad for the first go, I was aiming for 1025 and the instructions were for 1020...

Off to get the LR now :)

Must... Resist... MTS!!

Right all set up, does all look ok? The guy gave me a clown (common i think?) and an urchin as that was the last of the things he was selling.

Ive done a bit of research and seems ok. Is there anything on these rocks that shouldnt be there?

Thanks

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440540900.358852.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440540923.935646.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440540938.090462.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440540971.989177.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440541055.431790.jpg

Must... Resist... MTS!!

Keep a close eye on params and be prepared to be doing frequent wcs as it looks like you'll be fish in cycling the tank. The urchin is going to struggle as you won't have anything in a new tank for it to eat.

If the rock is still in the tank that is going then it is already 'cycled'.

Those fish sound just fine.

Sniperhank mentioned above that if the rock has just been transferred directly to another tank then it should already be cycled? Is this not the case? I never intended to do a fish in cycle...

I will keep an eye on params anyway as I do still regularly with my FW tank.

Re. The sea urchin, I intend to rehome him asap I only took him so that he wouldn't die without the LR, i will feed some seaweed and there should be algae on the LR already

Must... Resist... MTS!!

Didn't read back, if the rock was kept submerged you should be ok. Still test jic there's any die off

Phew :) all seem to have settled in ok and params look perfect.

Any idea what the pomegranate looking things on the rocks are?

Must... Resist... MTS!!

Looking good :)

Salinity - 1025
Ph - 8.3
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - maybe 10
Phosphate - between 0 and 0.5

Must... Resist... MTS!!

Looking good. My only suggestion is to get a better phosphate test kit down the line. Between 0-0.5 is quite the range. You really want phosphates under 0.1 and better between 0.03-0.07

Yeah I plan on doing so :)

Going to add a CUC over the weekend and then in a couple of weeks the next fish, probably the royal gramma first :)

Im not sure i like my rock scape, i might change it before i add anything else... How do you guys make such nice arches etc?

Must... Resist... MTS!!

I really like the island look I got in my 40.
U0dEA6v.jpg
weHYjtn.jpg

Phew :) all seem to have settled in ok and params look perfect.

Any idea what the pomegranate looking things on the rocks are?

Must... Resist... MTS!!

can you point out this pomegranate looking thing as don't see anything that even resembles a pomegranate,

That looks good bribo!

Opps sorry haha this is what i mean

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440703257.082480.jpg

Must... Resist... MTS!!

Just had a play around with the rocks and i think it looks better already :) cant wait to get the blue lights though

Must... Resist... MTS!!

Do you think I could have a valentini puffer with this stock?

So in the end it would be

Common clown
Black and white clown
Royal gramma
Banggai cardinal
Flame angel
Valentini puffer
& CUC

however, I do plan on eventually adding corals and have heard both the angel and puffer are hit and miss in a reef tank? Some are ok some will eat the corals?

Must... Resist... MTS!!

Actually scrap that... I really want to keep a valentini as they are beautiful but since i will be getting shrimp and hermits i doubt its the best idea

Must... Resist... MTS!!

Back
Top Bottom