Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Converting to a FOWLR tank

This will be my first saltwater tank. I have been reading up on a lot of information for the past couple months. I have a couple of questions and could use some advice.

It is currently a planted tank.

Current equipment:

27 Cube tank (20"W x 18"D x 20"H)
Stand
Marineland C-220 Canister Filter (220 GPH)
20" Finnex FugeRay 7000k

Possible equipment needed:

Instant Ocean Sea Salt, 160-Gallon
Hagen Fluval Sea PS1 Protein Skimmer
Hagen Fluval Sea CP1(265 GPH) or CP2(425 GPH)
API Saltwater Master Test Kit
Instant Ocean BIO-Spira (Marine)
Carib Sea South Sea Base Rock for Aquarium, 40-Pound (Unless I can find something better locally)
For substance I have found Carib Sea Aragonite Reef Sand for Aquarium 40 Pounds (27.21) or Carib Sea Ocean Direct Natural Live Sand 40 Pounds (34.99)
I was looking in maybe doing a 10 gallon sump if it is really necessary or maybe picking up this Oceanic Wet/Dry 50 on craigslist.

I plan to stock it with not 100% up for suggestions, but the Ocellaris Clownfish are a must

2x Tank bred Ocellaris Clownfish (1st Phase)
1x Royal Gramma Basslet (2nd Phase)
1x Firefish Goby (3rd Phase)
*No sure when I should add the clean up crew since I will be most likely starting with base rock.

Here are the questions I have

I keep reading about how it a bad idea to use a canister filter on a marine tank. But if you maintain your canister filter will it really be a problem? Since the live rock will serve as the biological filtration can I load the canister up with mechanical and chemical as in filter floss and Seachem Purigen.

I know the light I have is for plants but its shouldn't be a big deal for FOWLR?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks for looking

Old 07-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Looks like a pretty good list. Your stocklist looks good, you dont want anything crazy. lol

I happened to just buy that same skimmer last week or so and I am not sure its a good piece of equipment. Alot is dependant on the water level as it hangs in the tank. I had trouble with it cause my 60g cube doesnt have the water level to make it skim perfectly. It is a decent piece of equipment as far as quality though. It did skim a little bit for me. I like the aquaticlife skimmers, a much smaller footprint with that one.

I used a canister filter for quite a while on my 29g and then 55g reef and to be 100% honest, I had zero issues with nitrates. I also was very very good about water changes and cleaning it out. It's the lazy people I think that have trouble with them in saltwater lol. You also could just use it as a media reactor like you suggested though if you keep the tank well maintained you shouldnt need gfo or carbon really.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Looks like a pretty good list. Your stocklist looks good, you dont want anything crazy. lol

I happened to just buy that same skimmer last week or so and I am not sure its a good piece of equipment. Alot is dependant on the water level as it hangs in the tank. I had trouble with it cause my 60g cube doesnt have the water level to make it skim perfectly. It is a decent piece of equipment as far as quality though. It did skim a little bit for me. I like the aquaticlife skimmers, a much smaller footprint with that one.

I used a canister filter for quite a while on my 29g and then 55g reef and to be 100% honest, I had zero issues with nitrates. I also was very very good about water changes and cleaning it out. It's the lazy people I think that have trouble with them in saltwater lol. You also could just use it as a media reactor like you suggested though if you keep the tank well maintained you shouldnt need gfo or carbon really.
Really? I only saw one review on that unit because its new. From what I saw I thought it was a decent unit. But if you recommend the AquaticLife over it I will go with that. I was looking at that one first actually but I saw some reviews of it failed months later. Maybe just a bad batch. As far as the canister filter, I would rather use that then a sump for right now. I feel better about using it now. What media would you recommend with 3 trays?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I used to run carbon, floss pads and biomedia for the bacteria to live on. Thats the only tray, the biomedia that i wouldnt replace but rinse with tank water if it's gross.

I have the aquaticlife skimmer in my biocube right now, while it does take a little adjusting once its set it skims some nasty stuff lol. The fluval skimmer is also a little loider than the aquaticlife if that type of thing matters to you.

Another good small skimmer is the hydor, I think thats the maker, and the slim skim or nano skim. They are a bit over $100 but well worth it in my opinion. With skimmers, you usually get what you pay for. lol
Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is a great read on using canister filters in a saltwater aquarium:
Canister Filters for Saltwater | sitename%%That Fish Blog
Old 07-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey View Post
Here is a great read on using canister filters in a saltwater aquarium:
Canister Filters for Saltwater | sitename%%That Fish Blog
Thanks, for the tip
Old 07-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just placed my ordered

Fluval Sea CP1(265 GPH)
Fluval Sea Hydrometer, 4" Diameter
Fluval Sea Aquatic Epoxy Stick, 4 oz
Instant Ocean BIO-Spira (Marine)
Instant Ocean Sea Salt, 160-Gallon
Carib Sea South Sea Base Rock for Aquarium, 40-Pound
Carib Sea Ocean Direct Natural Live Sand 40 Pounds
Seachem Purigen 100ml x2
Seachem Seagel 1 Liter
Seachem Matrix 1 Liter
Seachem The Bag
TOM Aquarium Maintenance Algae Scraper Multi Tool 34 Length
Aquatic Life 115 Mini Protein Skimmer

Cant wait to get this project started.

I have about 2 to 3 weeks to clean out my planted tank since that was the estimated delivery time for the Carib Sea sand and base rock.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nice, sound good. You'll be up and running before you know it!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

If I wanted to add some beginner coral to the tank once its est would all I need to add is?

Finnex Ray2 Aquarium Day/Actinic LED Light, 24-Inch
API Reef Master Test Kit
Seachem Reef Pack: Fundamentals
Old 07-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Corals can be added with no special additives. Just clean water, cycled and good light is all you really need. As you get more corals of different types you may want to try feeding them but most can do just fine with the light.

Tags
converting, fowlr, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com