Converting to a saltie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobb12

Aquarium Advice Regular
1. I have a 10gl fw aquarium but am wanting to get a sw aquarium. I want corals and live rock but also fish and possibly inverts. I have had my eye on a 28 gallon bowfront at petsmart for awhile. I think it might be better to start out with a nano though like smaller than 20 gallons. Any suggestions.

2.How much would it probably cost to set up the 28gl?

3.How much for the nano?

4.For the 28gl do i need a sump.
TIA

The biocube i found is a 29 oceanic biocube. Does anyone have experience with this one. Should i just buy everything seperatly?

I've heard good and bad things about the biocubes. If you're serious about a reef tank, I think you'll be happier (i.e. less limited) buying seperately and customizing to your needs. This would allow you much better flexibility to start, as well as to upgrade as you move forward.

As I'm sure you've read, bigger is better - larger water volume allows for more room for error, which is more critical in SW than in FW while you "get your feet wet".

well i have around 600 dollars to spend will this be enough to buy seperatly

and the biocube is a 29 gallon while the tank i was looking at was only a 28 gallon bow front.

It seems like a lot of people have the mentality of starting with a nano to see if they can hack saltwater. But in reality, as neilanh mentioned, with saltwater, bigger is easier. So I would suggest to buy the biggest tank you can fit and afford.

Because with a bigger tank I will have to buy more sand, coral, live rock, bigger lights, bigger filiters and I cant go over my bugget because that is all i have to spend. So i figgured the only thing i could buy was a nano. But if you think i can get a bigger tank please correct me with what size would probably work well inside my bugget, becuase i really have no idea how much this will probably cost.

Ya i just added up most of the stuff i think i will need and 29 gl biocube costs to much so im going to have to start out with the 14 gl.

look on craigslist for something like a 55 gallon tank, you may be able to get one for close to free.

I have been reading this site for 2 days now. I have learned alot. I wish I found this site before I started. Bigger is better from what I have read and also researched. Yes, everything is costly, I am on a budget also, this is why the word "patience" is very wise here. I want to go and buy everything at once also, but I can't. So I am buying a little at a time and in the long run you will have the tank you want. OK, the truth I will want a bigger tank in about a year.

Ya I decided to wait and buy things piece by piece. I don't know if i can get anything like a 55 gallon cause i dont have anywhere to put it.

I was thinking about buying the 29 gallon with the 20 pounds of live sand and 20 pounds of live rock. Im not sure where to buy it though any suggestions. I am also gonna buy salt mix if anyone has suggestions on which type of salt mix to get. And after buying all of that it comes out to about $600. Will those things be enough to cycle the tank with.

Also when cycling the tank do i have to use saltwater. thanks!

Oh and thanks Speed for the info on craiglist i had never known about it before. There is some great looking things.

Personally I am a big fan of the Oceanic salt mix. It mixes great, and dissolves almost instantly and completely.

Should be fine on cycling, and yes you have to use saltwater to cycle the tank.

Will i need a heater , protein skimmer, power head when doing the cycle if i onlly have live rock and live sand. Or will the filter be enough.

Heater can't hurt, but if nothing in there, and summer time you can prob get away without one. Set it up and see what your temp is, and how steady it stays. Big changes are the killer. Power head and skimmer are not required for cycling. Can't hurt if you have em, but I would not rush out and buy them. Not going to be much to skim first of all. The power head could be nice just to see if it changes your temp or any other details. All in all the answer is not required, but if you have em go for it.

Thanks for the info ogden!

I am having trouble finding a good place to buy live rock. I have heard that liveaquaria is not a good place does anyone know of a good one. Is buying uncured live rock the same thing as bace rock. Or is base rock a totally different thing all together.

I buy all my LR from my LFS here in Chicago. They have good selection and fair prices. I personally have never ordered LR mail order...I am sure someone else will chime in.

Check this out for some decent definitions of rock
Live Rock

look on craigslist for something like a 55 gallon tank, you may be able to get one for close to free.

Yep, true. I just got a 29g with light/hood/heater/filter/ornaments for $50 a couple of weeks ago from a real nice young couple who were getting ready to put it in a yard sale. I was able to buy it from them before the yard sale. I was happy and so were they! :)

LR is available on ebay as well, for around 3.50 pound shipped.

Also, I don't agree with the statement that a powerhead isn't required during cycling. You'll want the water moving.

Back
Top Bottom