Converting to Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregerica

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now I have a freshwater, 25 gallon tank, can I convert this to a saltwater aquarium? If so, what does it take? What do I need for a saltwater tank...sorry for the basic question, didn't investigate too much so far...

What exactly do you want to do??? A basic clown fish tank? A small coral tank (not recommended until you do a LOT of reading and research!)

What equipment do you have now?

You can do a basic saltwater with very little extra cost over a fresh as long as you keep the bio-load (fish) down...

yeah if you want to do fish ONLY salt you would not incur too much cost... what do you want???

Doan

Ah, basically trying to please my fiance...looking to have a few clown fish types, maybe some more "fun" fish....what do you suggest?

Reading, reading and more reading! Seriously, the thought of a "few" clown fish and "more" fun fish scares me in a 25gal, unless you like doing water changes like clockwork.

I have a new 20 gal set up for my child which I plan to put in maybe one clown fish and a Bangai Cardinal plus some shrimp (both fish are great begginner choices that can take a little more abuse than most salts), plus about 20-30lbs live rock (expensive rock - but a natural filtration source - you can substitute very porous "base rock" with some live rock on top to start). Add some feather dusters and some mushrooms (mushrooms with upgraded lighting from strip lights) and you have a great little tank. I also plan to add a very small protein skimmer to help with the bio load.

Hope this helps!!!

Well, like I said, I don't know much about salt water. I have been very succesful with my freshwater tank and do water changes weekly...

Well then welcome to salt. I would first start by getting the DSB going as you will have plenty of time to do research on fish while you wait for your tank to cycle...It will take 4 to 6 weeks. You will need a powerhead for circulation, hang on back filter, thermometer, salt, and that should get you rolling until you know more about what you want to keep and what you can keep. You will most likely need to add a small skimmer down the road once you start feeding...Start by learning how to cycle a tank and then get started. You will need to get a bactria base before IMO you should put any live animals in...FYI Cycling your tank and having a good bacteria base will help in the control of ammonia, nitrites, and nirates...Thus happy & healthy fishies..... Good luck :p

Back
Top Bottom