Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cool ideas for 10g nano reef..

I've seen many different types of reef, most have a nature look with one center rock mount for the corals. But I've seen people try something else with, aquarium decor such as a sunken ship crashed helicopter or plane with coral on the decor itself... Please give me your ideas and post pics!!!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

me personally, I like the live rock look. I feel the decorations are best left to freshwater tanks. But thats only my opinion.

Here's a shot of my 4g pico and my 125g

In such a small tank I would concentrate on corals over fish as you can get more coral into a 10g than fish. lol But you do need adequate lighting for the corals. Basic lighting will let you keep the basic easy corals. If you go a bit more $$ you can keep almost anything you'd like. As far as fish, I would limit it to 2 very small ones. I have a tiny clown goby in my 4g and some inverts. Porcelain crabs, pompoms, peppermint shrimp, hermits etc....almost as much fun as fish!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #3

What do think about this light.. http://www.aquavibrant.com/CL26BK-Aq.../dp/B003GVOF8I .. Is it powerful enough, I could get two.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thats a great light, came with my pico. I was growing basic corals with just one of those in my 4g, but 2 might be better for a 10g. You could keeo zooa;s, leathers and mushrooms for sure with it.

lemme see if I can find another option for ya.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This is a little cheaper for the same light

Energy Saving Epoch Cliplight'

Also found these

http://www.aquatraders.com/Aquarium-Lighting-s/5.htm

You could have a single fixture and grow even more kinds of corals
Old 08-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with Carey, ornaments are for freshwater I think nothing beats a nice coral tank they are truly stunning, mine isn't set up yet but I spend hours staring at my friends live rock just to spot any new life forms I find it very interesting.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #7

What kinds of corals would be able to grow under the clip light?
Old 08-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had zooas out the wazzo, mushrooms, a candycane coral, some xenia which grew so fast I had to move them to a larger tank. Also have a kenya tree leather and a blastomussa frag too. I wouldnt put any sps or anything with a high light requirement though. I added an LED PAR38 bulb and added an acan and a monti frag as well as a tiny torch coral.

here is a link for yet another light

PAR30 Reef Lamp Kit by BoostLED

With that one you could keep most anything int he tank in my opinion. Just a tad pricey.

I have this one currently

CRE Loaded Ecommerce
Old 08-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #9

Alright I think I'm going to go with the clip light to start then maybe later upgrade!
Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sounds like a plan. Just get your feet wet so to speak and go from there.

I;m not sure but that clip on light may not be mountable on a rimmed tank. Just be sure it will fit. My pico is just glass with no rim and it slides right on, not sure if it will accomodate a regular tank if thats what you have.

i can take a picture if you like....

Tags
nano, nano reef, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com