Copepods, brine shrimp, etc...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, so I really want to get a couple of blue-green chromis and a scooter blenny (possibly a pair). My plan is to raise a bunch of copepods, brine shrimp, and rotifers in separate bottles and then feed them to the fish.

So, I've read up on copepods, and found several species sold online. Tisbe biminiensis, Tigriopus califoricus, and Subtropical Harpacticoid sp. How do you decide on which species to buy? If they are fed nutritious phytoplankton, then wouldn't the nutritional value be the same among all of the copepod species? Size is another problem. I have crabs and other inverebrates and such, and in the event that they do mate, I'd need to provide plankton for the newborn. Then, is there a general size I should go after?

The same question applies to rotifers, although I've only found the "L" strain...

Also, can I feed preserved phytoplankton to copepods, brine shrimp, and rotifers? I have a bottle of Kent's phytoplankton that I was going to use on something, but I never did it.

So to sum it up, I don't know what type of copepod and rotifer to raise because of the questions surrounding it; ie, nutritional value and general size for feeding fish and newborns. Brine shrimp seems clear enough and I can feed that to the chromis...

If it was me I would just feed frozen. If you get vitamin fortified Brine and mysis shrimp that will be good for them. It will also be alot less work.

If it was me I would just feed frozen. If you get vitamin fortified Brine and mysis shrimp that will be good for them. It will also be alot less work.

But I've read that scooter blennies rarely accept frozen foods.

Back
Top Bottom