Copepods Culture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chshwong

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there!

I'm trying to culture copepods in a separate tank.
I've googled about this for days, but there are still little questions here and there of which that i cant' find the answer.

Instructions normally state to use a tank, half filled, with some air, right temperature range then fill it with copepods. Add phytoplankton and let it reproduce themselves. Refill phyto once the green has faded.

Now my question really is:

#1. How come it doesnt need to be cycled? Or this kind of setup simply doesnt' create ammonia/nitrite? Or are pods simply resistant to that? Cause i'm sure overtime, there will be dead pods, and dead phyto. But I can't find anything that talks about that.

#2 In this empty tank, free of predators, would live rock increase the growth rate?

#3 How often should the water be changed? But you see how hard this can really be right?

#4 What's the max density. I can't find any pix or video of a copepods culture tank. Bottles don't count. When it's maxed out.. how dense does the population look like? Will the middle of the water be filled with the pods? Or simply the surface, wall and bottom will have pods?

Please let me know if you are currently culturing copepods.

Thanks!
smile.gif

Hi there, thanks :)

I've actually read that link several time, and lots of different ones too. But they still don't answer all my questions above, so i'm here seeking for hobbyists opinions hehe

OK,

# 1 There's nothing creating ammonia in pod tank. Actually there is a tiny amount being created, but so slowly that you don't need to worry about it. If you overfeed you can crash your system as that will create ammonia.

# 2 It won't add anything and may actually hurt your collecting ability.

# 3 Change 10 to 20 percent of the aquarium water every week, or Change the water completely once a month

# 4 I have no idea

Back
Top Bottom