Copper color algea??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bsnow0410

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anybody know what this copper color algea is?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398808402.426757.jpg
And not sure why have so much of it on my glass. I checks params yesterday everything was good but nitrates. They were at around 5ppms

Looks like a light brown film to me, when is the last time you cleaned the glass?

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like a light brown film to me, when is the last time you cleaned the glass?

Ok the power head it's like a copper color and I clean the sides every couple days and the front whenever it needs it

Not really sure, I've not seen copper colored before. Could it be the same as you clean off the glass, but on the power head instead?

Not really sure, I've not seen copper colored before. Could it be the same as you clean off the glass, but on the power head instead?

Not sure it may be. My zoas, gsp and frogspawn are all fine so I guess it can't be that bad

I'd keep a watch on it, and make sure it's not starting to cover things, but it might not be of concern. I'm hoping others here chime in on this lol... Curious myself now

Not sure it may be. My zoas, gsp and frogspawn are all fine so I guess it can't be that bad

It kind of resembles diatoms that I see in my freshwater tank? The lighting is probably making it look more copper colored rather than brown.

It kind of resembles diatoms that I see in my freshwater tank? The lighting is probably making it look more copper colored rather than brown.

Ok thanks . So just decrease my lighting

I am not 100% sure, salt water tanks are much different from freshwater. In a fresh water, you would actually increase the lighting because diatoms in an established tank is a sign of a short photo period. For salt water though, I can't give you an answer, I am still a salt water noobie.

I can tell you that high silicates in your water, regardless of fresh or salt, will cause diatom blooms.

I am not 100% sure, salt water tanks are much different from freshwater. In a fresh water, you would actually increase the lighting because diatoms in an established tank is a sign of a short photo period. For salt water though, I can't give you an answer, I am still a salt water noobie.

I can tell you that high silicates in your water, regardless of fresh or salt, will cause diatom blooms.

Thanks a lot I guess I'll just do some more research

they are diatoms they feed off the silicates in the water once they are consumed the diatoms will stop coming

Those aren't diatoms. You won't find diatoms on the glass. That is regular old, plain jane algae that grows on the glass of all of our tanks. A simple mag float will make it go away.

Back
Top Bottom