copper confusion??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

As I am sitting here looking at the only chemical that I ever put in my F/W tank (Leaf Zone) for my plants I realized that it gives a link to a website explaning the metals in Leaf Zone. On the site it does give a small reading of copper. Should I buy a new tank just because of the Leaf Zone?

EDIT: I was just told by a very knowledgable member of the planted forums that Leaf Zone contains such a small amount that he thinks I should have no problems. He told me that he knows other people that have coverted planted tanks to S/W with no problems and they also dosed trace elements. Oppose to meds that contain high concentration of copper. However I still would like more opinions

The link is, click on leaf zone 003

http://www.regulatory-info-API.com

Thanks

Hmmm, copper will seep into anything it can, probably including the silicone that seals the edges of the tank, possibly the plastic in any filter. If you want to go with FO tank, you might be ok, but I would wait for other's advice.....

Roka, I realize this and I absolutely want inverts. Everybody has always told me meds with copper so I don't know if there is enough copper in the little amount of Leaf Zone to make a difference. Did you check out the link? I may just buy a new tank as well. I have a nice stand and canopy so what is another $45 with all the equip. I am buying.

Just read it. Sorry I am at work and didn't get a chace to read till now. It looks like it contains 2.5, I THINK I read somewhere the you could be ok with .2 (some one correct me if I am wrong). If you can afford a new tank, I would just get it and use your current one for a QT....

rok, I just read the front of the bottle and it says it is "safe" for F/W and S/W. I don't know how to interpert that though. Safe for fish...What would you even use Leaf Zone for in a S/W tank? Hopefully someone will verify the reading of 2.5. I only used it about 5 times, a tablespoon, during PWC. But, as you said I may just be better off buying a new one but I was just interested.

I just read the front of the bottle and it says it is "safe" for F/W and S/W.

Copper is safe for fish, not inverts. I'm not too sure about FW. The little I have read about it, states it is for plants, since the "plants" in the ocean are really algea, I don't know why it would be used in SW, other than as one place said, "for photosynthesis".

But, as you said I may just be better off buying a new one but I was just interested.

This is maybe the safest idea....plus you'll have a QT where you can QT new fish and treat sick fish, even with copper...so it looks like it all works out! LOL!

Ok...This may be a dumb question and I apoligize. Is the rule for copper the same for F/W. I have only uses Leaf Zone that contains barely any copper 5 time at very small doses. I have 60+ MTS snails in my tank and they are all alive. On the bottle it only says it contains Iron, and wouldn't my snails have died if there was any copper in my tank?

Back
Top Bottom