Copper Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spilzer

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't normally post over here on the "salt side" of the forum but I've been avidly reading all the SW threads for the last few months and a question came to mind about my hopeful someday conversion from FW --> SW. I'm probably not going to be able to convert until I move somewhere with much more space but I'm content to dream and to research so that when the day comes I'll be prepared.

Here's the question:

I currently have a 29 gallon FW tank that I've just begun dosing with ferts including CSM+B which I know contains copper. I know copper is a no-no for reef tanks. Seeing as I've only dosed the tank with CSM+B twice, which means a very, very small ppm of copper, if I stopped now would I someday (like 5 years from now) be able to use the tank as a sump for a larger SW tank? Or does any amount of copper make the tank unusable?

TIA for any advice you can give.

Some would say that any amount makes the tank unusable for sw inverts later as the copper can get in the seals and leach out later. There are some copper remover products on the market. I'm not sure how good they are. The poly-filter pad also will turn a specific color as it removes copper from a system.

So, if you stop now, thoroughly clean your tank when ready for the switch and then run a poly filter for a month before adding any livestock, you may be ok.

Back
Top Bottom