Copperband, reef safe or not.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steo the great

Aquarium Advice Freak
M confused about these. I do love these fish but I'm afraid my corals will take a beating? Any got a clue on what corals they nip at or shrimp or anything like that
Thanks in advance

It is best housed in very large reefs, or in peaceful community tanks. It should be kept singly, not with conspecifics or similar butterflyfish, and should not be kept with any stress-inducing fish. Caution should be exercised if housing these fish in a reef aquarium. They may pick on invertebrates, especially anemones and feather dusters. They are an excellent fish when used to control aiptasia, or glass anemones, in the reef aquarium.
The Copperband Butterflyfish is a difficult fish to feed; it is a shy and deliberate feeder that may need a variety of foods offered to it in order to start feeding.

Straight from liveaquaria.com.

More important than is it reef safe is that it is a difficult fish to keep. They are hard to feed and don't last long in the home aquarium.

More important than is it reef safe is that it is a difficult fish to keep. They are hard to feed and don't last long in the home aquarium.
I agree, just like the morrish hard to keep but not impossible, they will love to nip at clams or sponge coral so you may want to be cautious

Go with schooling banner fish, Heniochus diphreutes not Heniochus acuminata!!! They look the same but are very different

Yeahbit actually forgot about a banner fish might try them out. I have a naso tang and a bristle too the tang and regal tang. Would you say that a banner fish will be ok in there?

Yeahbit actually forgot about a banner fish might try them out. I have a naso tang and a bristle too the tang and regal tang. Would you say that a banner fish will be ok in there?
Should be fine. I think Carey has had some useful experience with the copperband.

Back
Top Bottom