Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Copperbanded butterfly

I know that copperbanded butterfly's are hard to get them to start eating but other then that are they that difficult to keep cuz I keep hearing that they should be for experienced aquarists only but I really like them and I want to know what I would have to do to keep one

Old 06-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

From my experince no they are not hard to get eating but i could be the 1 in a 100 guys that got lucky try blood worms def they have a frozen food called super carnivore pretty good thats what got mine to start eating he was my fisrt fish and my tank just got done cycling that week so just make sure you are careful when netting do a good acclimation and you should be set i found having the bloodworms go in front of my power head really made him go crazy for them good luck any more ? just ask and keep me posted

Old 06-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBen112
From my experince no they are not hard to get eating but i could be the 1 in a 100 guys that got lucky try blood worms def they have a frozen food called super carnivore pretty good thats what got mine to start eating he was my fisrt fish and my tank just got done cycling that week so just make sure you are careful when netting do a good acclimation and you should be set i found have the bloodworms go in front of my power head really made him go crazy for them good luck any more ? just asked and keep me posted
Do you know if the CBB ate any aptasia cuz I've been reading on them and it says they do
Old 06-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
CBBs can be hit or miss. Raccoon butterflies are almost a guaranteed aiptastia fish.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had aptasia and mine did not even look at it peppermint shrimp on the on the other hand took care of most of it even though they might take a little work to get them to eat well worth it though
Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have aiptasia don't get a fish to take care of it.

Copperbands diet in general seems to be hard to replicate in home aquariums from what I have read and researched. They should live more than a couple of years in a tank but everyone I know say after a few months they start wasting away. They eat but they start loosing weight.

If you want to get rid of aiptasia without chemicals you can always use one of these Amazon.com: Majano Wand - Mojano & Aiptasia Zapper: Kitchen & Dining
Old 06-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I had aptasia and mine did not even look at it peppermint shrimp on the on the other hand took care of most of it even though they might take a little work to get them to eat well worth it though
I have one peppermint and I havnt seen him even try to touch the apttasia ever time I feed my fish he just pops out and scavanges for left overs
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you have any fish that could cause him to be hiding?
What all is in your tank
Old 06-19-2011, 01:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Do you have any fish that could cause him to be hiding?
What all is in your tank
A fire fish, blue damsels' percale clown, and I just added a blotch foxface today
Old 06-19-2011, 01:53 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Im not quite familar with foxface but the damsels could be scaring your peppermint from going out and getting the aptisa. My peppermint ate the smaller aptisa but the bigger ones i put a little but of lemon juice on a toothpick then stuck it in the aptisa that got rid of them

Tags
butterfly, fly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com