Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2005, 01:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Rxblade123
Coral and 10 Gallon?

Can you grow healthy corals in a 10 gallon? I was surfing the net and decided to read some things about Corals and LR and started to get more and more interested in this stuff. I only have a 10 gallon to use though. So do think you could have a tank with LR and Corals? and maybe some fish? or inverts?

Old 01-08-2005, 02:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
you need special lighting for corals, but my friend just set up a 10 gl saltwater tank and has either an emperor or penguin bio wheel filter and everything is going cool. He's cycling it out and about to put a clown and an orange/green mandarin in it.
I am about to set up a 75 gl salt water in about a week. And after i get that set up im gonna set up a couple 10-20 gl tanks and get some of these lights and i was either gonna get a pc kit or one of these upgrades http://www.aquacon.com/smallaquariumlighting.html In which you still wouldn't be able to grow hard corals but you should be able to grow soft corals. Im still a beginner so dont take my word for it but i am pretty well informed with the aspects of salt water tanks

Old 01-08-2005, 02:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

What kind of special lighting?
Old 01-08-2005, 02:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

for hard corals and clams you'll need Metal Halides (MH) but if you just want soft corals and things of that such power compact flourescents should do the job. I know if you just wanted to keep fish in it regular flourescent bulbs would do the trick.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

you do not have to have MH lights to keep many Hard Corals and can keep plenty of LPS with PC lights.
3-5 watts per gallon should be fine. more is better

For a begginer I wouldnt recommend a 10 gallon for my first SW set up.
too much room for error while you are learning. not saying you cant do it.
just more challenging.

If your dead set on a small set up check out the JBJ Nano-Cube DX. with 48watts of PC lighting you can keep plenty of LPS corals. Frog spawn, brains, Candy Canes just to name a few. I would do a ton more research.

Good Luck

Jonathan G.
Your buddy will more than likely lose his Mandarin if he keeps it in a 10 gallon.
way too small a tank and not even close to enough LR to support one.

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 04:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea i think he just threw that idea out there but idealistically he is gonna put in an anemone and a pair of clownfish
Old 01-08-2005, 03:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would 9.6 Watts per gallon be too much for a Coral Tank? I went around on Hellolight and they have a 20" Lighting Hood that gives off 96 Watts. And also do you know some good sites that have lots of info on setting up a SW tank with LR and corals and such. I tried google, but usually found how to cycle the tank.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

They're two good books out that are very informative when starting your tank, The New Marine Aquarium and The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. These are both good books but a trip down to your local library wouldn't hurt, just make sure everything you get is newly printed as equipment and information on how to keep a marine aquarium is constantly changing. As for other websites ill send you a PM with some links that should help you out. If you have anyother questions just PM me and i'll try to help you out.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

As for the lighting question i believe that should be suffiecient to keep most corals, however i would stay away from hard corals. just make sure you dont overcrowd and that you know how to take care of a small tank cuz the smaller the tank the more apt it is to have dramatic spikes in ph and other harmful things that will kill your marine life.

Tags
10 gallon, coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com