Coral Beauty in QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No problemo ;)

I've got an internal Fluval 2plus filter in there with 2 seeded sponges, and 4 large pvc elbows. The fluval creates quite a bit of surface agitation, no powerhead (I tried it before but it was simply too much flow for the size of the tank (15 gal).

Good :wink:

Will wipe the bottom and get out as much as I can, then do a 50% change before I put my fish in (I guess the filter sponges will be ok out of the water for a couple of mins).

:)

Will it actually hurt anything in the QT (ie. add to the ammonia etc.) if I leave the powder/stuck on food on the bottom?? I've just looked now and most of it is this way, ie. I won't be able to get much out at all without wiping the bottom, which I guess will just mix the powder into the water even more.

It'll be quite a task and I certainly won't be able to get all of it even if I attempt it...

Should I do it or not? ;)

I'm going to be doing 50% waterchanges each week anyway, so if leaving the food in probably won't mean I'll have to do any extra, I won't bother!

It won't hurt anything. besides Coral Beauties like to pick. Will give her something to do. :)

Cool, I wont bother doing anything with it then! Just the 50% waterchange.

Was just concerned it may add to the ammonia if its left in there to "rot"...

Will she be ok eating "old" hard food though? :p

As long as the ammonia doesn't start to rise. If it does, then I would scrape it.

But, by the time my test kit has shown presence of ammonia, it could be too late to bother scraping? :p

Well the ammonia you are going to battle with water changes. My qt tanks get covers with a decent amount of algae, I basically just ignore it. It has never bothered my water quality.

But, surely rotten food is going to be more harmful than algae? :p

Bottom line is, if it's likely to cause ammonia problems, I'll have a good go at it, and perhaps risk killing a few bacteria off in the process. Gotta be the better option!

MarkW19 said:
I'm going to be doing 50% every week. Hopefully that'll be ok - I've cycled the QT this time to cut down on the hassle! :p

Mark, IF ammonia becomes a problem, I would do more like a 20% daily water change.
If ammonia does not become a problem, I would do a 10-20% water change every 2-3 days. This would be more effective and better allow a good cycle to maintain than a massive change every week.

In QT, is 12 hours for mixing the saltwater ok (as opposed to the 24 for the main)?

I was told I would probably be able to do the one big change a week, with my cycling it first. That's the only reason I cycled! :) It's diffucult for me to do that many waterchanges over 4 weeks!

Is it more than likely the 50% every week be ok, regardless of whether I scrape the food off the bottom or not?

The only problem with a 50% (as I see it) is that it may mess with the biofilter in such a small system. IMO, large changes like this are for emergencies (ammonia problems,etc). But thats just my opinion. What is it, a 10 gallon? Is she in there already?

It's a 15gal, she's not in there yet :)

It's as easy for me to do 50% waterchanges as 10, that's all. I figured more would give me a better chance of keeping the ammonia down!

Small frequent water changes are a pain, I agree. All I know is that they worked for me.
Its your call, besides in the beginning at least, they may be helpful. :)

How's about weekly 25% instead then, as a happy medium? :p

I was told cycling would mean I could get away with 1 a week. So, for bacteria, if I have to cut it down to 25% a week, that's fine...

I was intending doing a 50% before I put her in - you agree with that?

I agree with that as long as ammonia stays down. :wink:
If it doesn't, I'm goin back to my old way....small frequent changes :mrgreen:

Hehe, well which would you do before I put her in (aim is to get nitrates down etc. as water hasn't been changed for 5 weeks during cycle) - 25% or 50?

25% is what I would do. You'll love the Coral Beauty, mine is a very nice fish.

Back
Top Bottom