Coral Beauty in QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool, will do 25% before I put her in then, and aim to do 25% each week as long as ammonia stays down, which with the cycle hopefully it should.

Are we sure that the food left in there won't add to the ammonia as it rots more then? ;)

I really like CB's too, I'm just hoping she won't hurt my corals! I know it's a risk, but most people say it's 50/50...

Is the left in food likely to cause more ammonia during the 4 week QT then?

And, is my fish ok to eat the "rotting" food that's still in there? :p

Never leave uneaten foods or detritus in the QT. Once feeding time is over wait about ½ hr or so and then syphon out anything you find on the bottom. As I suggested before, get a rigid airline tube and attach it to a flixible tube and you can easily remove it without stressing the fish or removing much water.

Cheers
Steve

I'm just really asking about the food thats been in while I've been cycling it...

Its stuck to the bottom, and/or turned to powder.

I wont be able to get all of it out, but I could always wipe the bottom with a paper towel and get all I can out, if you don't think that'll harm much bacteria?

A turkey baster would work for getting the food out after feeding time I guess?

If it's been in there that long and there's no NH3, NO2 or NO3 it won't be a concern. It's most likely decomposed as much as it's going to. I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the turkey baster, it's a bit clumbsy for such a small task. I think you'll find it to be quite ineffective and cumbersome.

Cheers
Steve

Cool - well I'm cycling so when I've finished (ammonia is at 0 but nitrites are taking a long time! Went to about 5, then back down again but have been stuck at <1 for ages) there'll be none, so no worries there I guess. What if my fish eats the decomposed food - any problems? :p

I guess a net would work better for the food? Don't have a rigid airline tube :p

MarkW19 said:
What if my fish eats the decomposed food - any problems? :p
As I said there's probabley nothing there that resembles organic matter any longer. I wouldn't worry about the old stuff.

I guess a net would work better for the food? Don't have a rigid airline tube :p
A net would be no better. Go buy the rigid tubing it only cost about $1.00 for a few feet.

Cheers
Steve

So, the rigid bit goes in the tank and the flexible bit goes on the end of the rigid bit (out of the tank)? I guess I have to create a siphon (my tanks on the floor)?

Cool - is sellotape harmless in the QT tank?

I've got a spraybar (rigid tube with 5 holes in it) that came with my eheim - could I cover the holes up with sellotape perhaps? :p

The diameter on the spraybar is too wide and won't be an effective tool. The tape shouldn't be a concern though.

Is there some reason you don't want to get the right tool for the job? You will find it will have endless uses.

Cheers
Steve

Ahh so it needs to be very thin? With a very thin piece of flexible tubing attached to it I guess :p

Just not sure where I'd get these from! :)

The pet shop :wink:

Your best bet is one that sells primarily FW animals.

Cheers
Steve

Just been down, they don't have any, as I guessed :p

I'll email somewhere :)

Right, I've just found some stiff RO tubing that came with my unit which should do the trick. About 1/4" diameter...

As my tank is on the flow, I'll have difficulty creating a siphon...

Could someone give me some ideas as how best to do this task with my RO tubing? :p

lol, can't it's full of water!! And I've nothing to stand it on.

Would there be a way of creating a siphon in the position it's in atm?

I think I'll just be very careful with feedings - just put one large piece at a time, rather than smaller bits. Any large bits left can be picked out I guess.

My QT has just about finished cycling - nitrite is at "0" according to my testkit (seachem one) - 0 is apparently very light pink. And, the colour of the test is lighter than the lightest colour on the test strip.

But, I know that TRUE 0 is totally white (as is my main tank).

Ammonia is at 0 and has been for a week or so.

It's been at this stage for ages (about 2 weeks) after both ammonia and nitrite peaking and falling.

What should I do - would you do a 25% waterchange and call it a day?

Back
Top Bottom