Coral before fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lauramichelle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm considering placing coral in my 20 gal aquarium before I add fish. I'm cycled, and have a CUC already. Since coral shouldn't affect my bio, I thinking that by adding fish later may also reduce "new coral nibbling" tendencies for the livestock. Any thoughts?

Lauramichelle said:
Thank you for the reply Gboy. I appreciate it.

Ya, no problem.

About your coral idea, I choose to add corals after fish. That way, when you add them ypu know that your water quality is sufficiant enough to keep them alive.

Ya, no problem.

About your coral idea, I choose to add corals after fish. That way, when you add them ypu know that your water quality is sufficiant enough to keep them alive.

I agree 100%. Some extremely hardy corals could be put in but adding fish first should be done to stabilize the bacteria so that you don't get mini cycles when adding fish and force your corals to go through that. And trust me corals dying is no fun...

I added zoas a week or so before two clowns. Zoas are hardy but they co.e with a lot of negative hitch hikers if u ask me.

So far I have got:

1 majano anemone
1 aiptasia
A bunch pc those worms with the two arms out of the top. Actually they are covered it them
1 Hugh peanut worm that pulls at zoas
2 two nudibranches (the zoa eating kind) and a a lot of their eggs.

This is all on one big colonly I bought growing on a dead brain coral so smaller frags are probably better than large colonies to buy in my opinion

I haven't had much of a problem with hitch hikers on coral, if you buy frags instead of colonies it's a heck of a lot cheaper, and you can see the problems a lot easier. I actually got a stomotella snail on one of my frags since I saw him when I was acclimating the frags in a container, it was easy to quarantine it. Found out it was good and put it in my tank.

WOW! That is some list! I was looking at frags. My coral shop has huge tubs with various coral. Wouldn't an infestation be on all of them?

All depending on what it is. Most likely not but some algae is crazy. Just don't pour the water the corals came in into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom