Coral distances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lauramichelle

Aquarium Advice Activist
We read to give various corals specific locations within a tank. We also read to keep spaces between them. Then I see tanks and show tanks with corals almost touching or actually crowding. Frankly, these tanks look beautiful.
I have my corals spread throughout my little 20 gal. It really looks sparse.
So my question is how close can they actually be to each other? For example: Can my Ricordea sit next to my war coral and along with my trumpets? Will my star polyps hurt my mushrooms? How much space is correct? Thank you so much.

It just depends. If you don't mind your corals going to war then you can cram them. My tank is literaly covered in different zoas shrooms and polyps. Then the occasional trumpet Frogspawn colt and torch corals. My zoas and shrooms have been in a territory war for a couple of weeks now. The shrooms are managing to cover the zoas but the zoas spread rapidly and are trying to grow around them. You just have to be careful and watchful with some. I have a trumpet which got close to a green mushroom and the mushroom surprisingly almost killed three heads on it. I moved it and it's getting better. I also had a Frogspawn fall over on a red mushroom almost killing the mushroom but the shroom bounced back and is doing better. With me, I don't mind if my "weed" corals go to war, they'll spread quickly and no matter which one wins it'll look beautiful covering my tank. But with my stonies, I move them when needed. Look at my 90 gallon pics. I plan on posting a YouTube video soon just so you can see how close everything is.

Hi Sergie. I would love to see ur tank. It sounds fantastic.
As for me, I'm not looking for any "wars" going on. I can handle one trying to gain property, but I don't want them hurting each other. I hopefully have my Frogspawn distant enough. Pushing is one thing. Stinging is another. So, of it depends, how or where can I get an idea on the spacings? Thank you.

I think a pic tells 1,000 stories. ;)
coral-war2_9-09.jpg

coral-war3_9-09.jpg

coral-war4_9-09.jpg

coral-war5_9-09.jpg

coral-war6_9-09.jpg

coral-war7_9-09.jpg

ccCapt said:
I think a pic tells 1,000 stories. ;)

Wow the quality of those pics are great.. what kind of camera are you using for those

Here are some of examples of how close some of these can be.

Attachments

• DSCN0758[1].jpg
    DSCN0758[1].jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN0755[1].jpg
    DSCN0755[1].jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0752[1].jpg
    DSCN0752[1].jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN0751[1].jpg
    DSCN0751[1].jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 103
Thank you Sergie. Wonderful photos. And they all seem to be doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom