Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got some fire and ice no bam bams though lol. What I'd like to do is take pretty much all my corals at home and move them into the new systems to be the first rotation of broodstock.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am interested also once you get your business started. I read a book called " Book of Coral Propagation" by Anthony Calfo that had tons of information about coral farming, shipping, and starting your own business that you might find helpful. Good luck

Old 11-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Shipping is easy, especially when it comes to frags. A simple bag filled with water is just common sense...but a piece of styrofoam on the end of the plug so it floats upside down will prevent the coral from ever being out of water. Add one of those little plastic cups you get sauces in at restaurants to stop SPS from poking holes in the bag and you are golden.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrymurray
I am interested also once you get your business started. I read a book called " Book of Coral Propagation" by Anthony Calfo that had tons of information about coral farming, shipping, and starting your own business that you might find helpful. Good luck
That is where I'm getting a lot of my numbers from actually lol. And to hank totally agree but I may be able to ship all my corals in specimen cups due to the fact that my GF can get them for free at the hospital that she works at and even the base in which she does her weekend reserve work. I figure if my shipping methods exceed the competitors then that will be one major step ahead of them cause as many of us know some of the shipping we recieve (even from big names) can be a bit sketchy lol. I would like to keep it as personal as possible and with every shipment send a personalized letter along with tips for acclimating and caring for each species purchased. As I said before my key to success will be to provide the best customer care and relations as humanly possible while starting up my business.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

And should this work out after I finish my 5-7 year plan I would like to open up a second shop in the bay area to cover the west coast more easily as well which I would leave the east coast shop to my buddy and I would run the west coast shop since that's already where all my family is and where I use to live (i miss it lol)
Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also I would like your input on an idea I had. I understand that I could possibly flood my market of certain corals and be left stuck with "inventory" costing me money just caring for it. So the plan was to have a trade section on my website for which ever corals I find to be falling below the profit line and costing me money to even keep. Obviously I would wait til my business and I were more credible but the way I see it working is you can browse a list of corals and if you see something you like you can contact me for a straight up swap. Given, I would have to receive your coral first to keep from being scammed which is why I wouldn't even offer it until I was very credible. Also to help I could keep a list of my wanted corals and a point value next to them which you could see how many "points" you have with your corals and purchase off the "trade" section with that amount of points (each coral on the section would obviously have a point value). This would help keep questions down on trades which essentially is my money/time so I would need to streamline it as much as possible cause I can't have someone hired strictly to take trade calls all day lol
Old 11-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thats one heck of an idea. I would definitly frag some stuff and make trades if my lfs offered it. Also, you would need to make sure the trades didnt bring harmful disease/algaes into tour tanks.

I really hope your dream becomes a reality matt! That would be so cool to have a small sw business
Old 11-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

A separate QT frag tank would solve that issue. Just keep it in the back.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
A separate QT frag tank would solve that issue. Just keep it in the back.
Boom now we're gettin' somewhere haha
Old 11-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

My plan so far is 3 12'x2.5'x16" spillways which will be for softies, lps, and sps. From there I would be building 4 3'x3' frag tanks. These will all be ran on seperate filtration systems consisting of 2 100gallon rubbermaids joined as sump/fuge for the spill ways and single 100 gallon tubs for the frag tanks. I plan on doing the majority of the water movement with one central airpump other then the external pumps running the sumps. This will keep electricity/cost down and be a whole lot less to worry about mechanically and initial purchase wise.lighting I'm still torn on.. the economical value of LEDs is so enticing but from everything I've read there's no beating MH for pure growth which is what this will be almost entirely focused on. It's even crossed my mind to just hook up a kiddy pool with a media block and the basics to start cutting RBTAs even since they can reproduce quickly and fetch top dollar.

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com