Coral for my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ximat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 75g tank that's been setup for arround 6 months. I have a Current Sattelite 4x65 PC light. That equals 3.53 watts per gallon.

I've devised a list of the corals i'd like to start with, any input?

1 Yellow Toadstool Leather Coral (2"-3")
1 Flame Polyps (3"-4")
2 Orange Paddle Sponge (2"-3")
1 Purple Fungia Plate Coral (2"-3")
1 Red Trumpet Coral (2"-3")

Is this too much at one time? All these say they will do fine in medium lighting, would my lighting be medium?

TIA

The list should be okay. Just make sure you put the plate coral on the substrate.

Another question I have about these, most of these corals list moderate current, with a 75g tank (48") what powerheads should I use? I have two MaxiJet 1200's in the tank right now, but im sure those are too much, what should I replace them with?

three or four 1200's would be great. Make sure they they are positioned to create a caotic current.

the two 1200's seem to be pretty rough on my feather dusters, and my fish don't swim anywhere near the top, is that okay?

I have 2 MJ 1200's in my 40gallon tank, and it's just perfect. You don't have enough current right now. The minimum is 10 x per hour turnover...so at least 750gph in your case. MJ 1200's are rated for 295gph.

You should have one on each side, pointed at each other. The 3rd powerhead could be along the back, or ideally, get 2 smaller maxijets and point them at each other also. Cross currents create good reef like conditions in the tank.

I also have two Emperor 400's. That counts as turnover right? That puts me at 18.53 % turnover. The current from the two MJ 1200's just seems like a lot. But im learning, thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom