Coral Growth Rate...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thekeyofb

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got a 1x1 inch piece of a "green star polyp" from a friend of mine. I've heard that these things grow pretty fast and will take over your tank. Does anyone know just how fast this thing should grow and spread? What are the determining factors besides lights and calcium?

They can and will take over. The best way to control them is to keep them on an "island" rock one that does not touch anything else in the tank. That is unless you want them to take over things.

After they get established and are happy with your tank you will see noticeable growth on a weekly basis. Good flow is another factor to growth.

Well, I do want it to grow and spread. I currently have it attached to a piece of live rock and it is not touching anything else. It is in a 75 gallon with good water flow. the lighting is 1-40watt actinic and 1-40watt 6,500k.........all of the chemical levels are normal. How much growth do you think I should expect under these conditions?

Not as much as you would with stronger lighting....80w of light is not much for corals...I have mine under considerable more light...

If you are looking to have corals you will need to upgrade your lighting....

From my understanding, green star polyps along with all sorts of other mushrooms and certain other corals, do not require HO lighting. Is my research on that incorrect?

They don't require it and will survive in lower light but they will benefit from more light then you currently have. Look at some T5s to go along with what you have and you will be surprised with the difference in growth and the look of your tank.

I will certainly do that. Do you think a 4 ballast T5 unit with 2-actinic and 2 65k bulbs would do a good job on my 75 gallon?

I will certainly take your advice on this. Thanks for your input everyone.

1 more quick question......Can I purchase higher wattage bulbs for my current light fixture? Do they make bulbs higher then 40 watts for a 2-ballast, T8 unit?

Back
Top Bottom