Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2008, 01:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just another answer to throw into the grab bag!

I do my corals the same as my fish: float closed bag in water for 5-10 minutes to equalize temperature, then drip acclimate in a small plastic tub for 30-45 minutes... perhaps 60 minutes, depending on the salinity of the water in the bag to start with. I will tend to rush corals I get at a LFS more than ones that have come mail order. With mail order, I figure the thing has been in the bag probably 18 hours already... what's another hour?

I don't quarantine my corals because while I know I should, my QT doesn't have adequate lighting and I don't want to stress the coral any more than it needs to be. No dips, just a gentle "swish" in the acclimation water before putting it in my main tank to get any debris, mucous, etc off.

Oh... overnight shipping, always.

[Edit: Also... to answer your question, "no" I've never had a coral die in transit. I would seriously doubt anyone has. They're not like fish. Death for a coral is often a long process. Any damage the coral receives during transit will probably not become apparent for many weeks. All my coral deaths have been due to clumsy snails/crabs, or incorrect placement by me and not correcting the problem in time. ]

Old 03-09-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to lamaseta17
hey ziggy im in new york once i get rid of my two puffers and eel i will definitly buy some coral from you. im new to coral right now any advice on what i should have before getting the coral from you, thanks

Old 03-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I tend to follow the same procedure as Ziggy. I immediatley open the bags and sit them in the tank, to allow temps to stabalize. Then after 15 or 20 minutes, I pour some tank water into the bag, dump some out when it gets full, and repeat. I don't QT my corals because my QT tank doesn't have a light on it, and I don't much think it's needed if you can give it a good inspection before you put it in the tank.

Never had a coral die in transit, but I have lost a head on my frogspawn from it. LPS corals are probably the hardest to ship because they have both the really sensitive fleshy tissue and a hard, usually sharp skeleton to lay against.

HTH!

I've had really good luck buying both from liveaquaria.com and reefhotspot.com

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I wish I could say I`ve never had a coral die in transit but I could not say that. Several yrs ago I ordered a yellow figi leather and a brain coral and both were dead when I got them. Dont know what happened but they were dead and falling apart. I dont QT my corals and depending on the coral and circumstances will dictate how I acclimate it. I`ve also ordered from my LFS since that order that ended up a tradedy.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamaseta17 View Post
hey ziggy im in new york once i get rid of my two puffers and eel i will definitly buy some coral from you. im new to coral right now any advice on what i should have before getting the coral from you, thanks
Well the biggest need for any tank that you are going to put coral in is excellent water! You will need enough light to support the coral and you will need a good skimmer to keep the water clean. Having a sump with refugium helps as well. PM me with a run down of your tank and I will give you an idea of things to look at.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you for the responses. Exactly the answers I was looking for.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com