Coral life Super Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I started to put a new Coral Life Super Skimmer (65gal max) on my 46gal FOWLR tank which has been running for almost 3 weeks and has been cycled.

That unit is WAY too obtrusive in the tank. I didn't realize that a fat pump had to hang into the tank along with the return hose and bubble diffuser box. That whole set-up seems rediculous to me and I put it back in the box.

What would be a better alternative? I'm thinking that I should have bought a conventional wet/dry but my tank is glass and was not drilled. A sifhon set-up sounds like trouble waiting to happen and this tank is in my office. Water running down through the other office ceilings wouldn't make me a popular guy. 8O :D 8O

Running an Eheim 2227 Wet/Dry and a AC300 HOB

40lb Live Sand
60lb LR

Overflow boxes can have thier reliability increased with the use of an aqua lifter pump to suck out air bubles that form in the siphon seciton. This is still less reliable than a drilled tank, but much better than an unprotected overflow box, and much much better than a siphon alone.

I've never had trouble with my overflow box.. if the tank side of the box isn't set too low and the spray bar coming from the pump has a couple of holes drilled in it (they usually come with one drilled at least) below the water line you will be fine.. the only place I see people having trouble is if they keep their sump too full. The siphon tube will build up bubbles in it but those are easy to clear as part of your normal weekly maintenance by quickly filling the tank side of the box with tank water... blows those bubbles out of there.

I decided to give the sump style wet/dry a try. I'm not sure what the pre-filter/overflow box will look like yet. It is part of the ProClear Pro 75 package that I ordered. I should have it in about a week.

The Coral Life Super Skimmer can be used in the sump also. I wouldn't ditch it just yet, mine does a great job in producing skimmate.

tecwiz,

The ProClear Pro 75 comes with a built in protein skimmer. Hopefully, the supplied skimmer will work adequately. We'll see.

skimmer

I just ordered this for my tank the 65 gal. and I dont have a sump. Should I get a different one?

Re: skimmer

Mike469 said:
I just ordered this for my tank the 65 gal. and I don’t have a sump. Should I get a different one?
It's a beast of a skimmer but works either in the sump or HOB. Just make sure you have 6" of clearance in the back or you will have to have it hang off the side.

My only objection with the CLSS was that the powerhead, discharge tube & bubble diffuser had to hang in the tank. It looked like crap and took a lot of room. I also had to move some of my LR because the powerhead hangs down a bit.

In a large tank this set-up may not have been so obtrusive but in my small 46gal it just took too much away for me to find it acceptable.

BY the way, the CLSS came highly recommended by my aquarists.

It's an awesome skimmer... Don't sell it... I had a CSS 125 on my 29G w/o any space problem. I think you havn't cut the flexible tube that connects the pump to the skimmer yet, have u? If you cut it just enough to connect the pump to the unit, you'll find that the pump isnt that troublesome to ur aquascape.

Btw. It's CSS, not CLSS - Coralife Super Skimmer XD

The CSS (not CLSS) is G-O-N-E. I will be skimming in the sump as soon as the sump & new skimmer arrives. If the new set-up is unsatisfactory, I can always put a better skimmer in the sump.

I'll keep you updated.

The ProClear Pro 75 comes with a built in protein skimmer. Hopefully, the supplied skimmer will work adequately
The skimmer on my proclear 150 works great. It does require frequent cleaning of the collection cup (every three-four days) to remain efficient .

Back
Top Bottom