coral on my live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

werd2738

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I will be buying live rock from liverocknreef.com this week and have a question for the reefers. I will be curing it in an extra aquarium I have up and running. Its got nothing in it just saltwater heater, powerhead, and cheapo stock 24" florescent light.

My question is, will this sub par light kill all the corals and light sensitive life forms that come on the rock? Or will they come back after the curing process is completed? I dont want to add directly to my display tank and cause it to cycle either.

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated!

I doubt you will have much coral on the rock, but if you do happen to get some polyps or something, if the light is subpar they won't survive. That being said, I would 100% agree with curing it in the other tank before adding it to an existing DT. It is worth losing a few polyps to isolate any nasties you might come across, and get rid of any die off that will most certainly occur, even if the shipping is overnight.

Well the reason I asked was that I was going to order 25lbs of Florida live rock that has tons of life on it. Corals, polyps, mushrooms, dusters, etc. If curing it in my 29 gallon will kill off the life it comes with ill just scrap that idea and stick to base rock, and just buy frags.

I wouldn't cure it, take your chances, your more than likely killing a lot of good stuff to avoid the possibility of getting something bad. Heck I think half the fun of live rock is the hitchhikers. If you want pest free rock just get dry rock.

Im really not concerned with hitchhikers, just the die off spiking my tank and killing fish

Back
Top Bottom