Coral question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Starfish and sponges come to mind. The jury is still out on stars but Liveaquaria and saltwaterfish.com recommend not exposing to air. To be safe I dont expose mine to air.

so with the exeption of those 2 most any coral can withstand a brief period of air exposure?

The two that melosu mentioned are the only ones that come to my mind. Not saying there aren't more, but as far as "normal" coral you'll find available for sale, they can deal with air exposure for a bit.

Things you want to watch for though are some of the LPS corals that have very "puffy" tissue, with lots of expansion. You want to make sure the tissue has retracted as much as possible before taking them out of water. If you don't, the weight of the water in the tissue will possibly cause the tissue to tear on the skeleton. Any tear or cut is a possible infection source... just like us. You can normally deflate an inflated coral by either causing some water current over it with your hand, or gently touching it (with rubber gloves) to get it to retract.

My seriatopora (birdnest) and stylophora get a good breath of air for about 5 minutes max, every week when I do a water change.

Liveaquaria.com says Sponges, clams, scallops, and gorgonias should never be directly exposed to air. These are listed in their drip acclimation procedures.

Thank You all,
I was just wanting to be prepared, It's a lot of money to throw down the drain for not handling something properly.

Liveaquaria.com says Sponges, clams, scallops, and gorgonias should never be directly exposed to air. These are listed in their drip acclimation procedures.

Can't speak to the others - although I believe that sponges are correct for no air exposure - but I've fragged several species of gorgonia (at least the photosynthetic ones) and there is no issue there with exposure to air. After clipping them, I remove them from the water, strip the base with a pair of wire strippers and insert into superglue gel. Then back into the tank.

Be aware that most websites or retailers that sell live animals will provide a warning that encompass a number of animals to avoid liability. The only animals I am aware of that are sensitive to air exposure are sponges and according to Shimek, sea urchins (extended period). I have exposed numerous bivalves, sea urchins, gorgonians, and sea stars without incidence and the real concern lies within their acclimation (salinity, pH, temperature).

Here's a few pics of crocea's at low tide. Exposure to the air is not a problem.

low_tide5.jpg

low_tide6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom