Coral questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

th08tu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey this might be a dumb question but I am thinking about setting up a salt water tank with live rock and corals but I need to know this first. How do you move/transport the corals, such as getting them from the LFS into the tank safely? How do you do it to make sure that it is not harmed, and am I wrong in thinking that some corals can harm humans? Thanks for helping me everybody even if they are dumb questions.

well when i get my corals my lfs usally wraps the coral in a bag with no water then puts it in a normal water bag
and yes some corals have poisounas substances not deadly though

Usually my LFS puts the coral in bags of water. Some corals can hurt you especially if your allergic. One "coral" on the top of my head, the Fire Coral can hurt. But it is rarely encountered. Aslong as you don't touch your eyes or mouth after touching them, you should be fine.

ok that helps, but what about once you get them home? Aren't they like super fragile, how do you get them from bag to rock without damaging them?

Hey this might be a dumb question but I am thinking about setting up a salt water tank with live rock and corals but I need to know this first. How do you move/transport the corals, such as getting them from the LFS into the tank safely? How do you do it to make sure that it is not harmed, and am I wrong in thinking that some corals can harm humans? Thanks for helping me everybody even if they are dumb questions.

The LFS typically put the coral in a bag of water just like if you bought a fish. When you get home, it is best to acclimate the coral too. I'm not too concerned about getting harmed from the coral but yes they can harm you. More so if you have open cuts or touch eyes etc, like mentioned above. I know that Palys/zoas can be very poisonous, expecially when they are getting fragged.

ok that helps, but what about once you get them home? Aren't they like super fragile, how do you get them from bag to rock without damaging them?

It depends on the coral, but most are way tougher than they appear. That said though, you do want to treat them gently and try not to handle them too much on the living tissue. It will become obvious once you get one in your hands - if you have questions though about a specific type of coral... fire away!

Yes leave them on the white plug. They put it in a bag of water and when you get home you`ll acclimate it to your tank water.

i just bought some from my LFS. I went in for Chaeto and came out with a leather and green star polyp. they didn't use plugs. I found a nice little place for them in the rocks and off I go.

Just for referrence.. A while back I was browsing my LFS stock and he received his weekly FedEx delivery. I was amazed to see how the coral were packed and shipped from the other side of the world.

Example:

He had a box of Zoas. They were just wrappped in Wet Newspaper and closed up in a garbage bag. He told me those particular ones were shipped directly from Viatnam.

Corals are much tougher then they look

When I make a purchase, they just bag it in water.

Another quick example :)

This LFS is quite far from my house (30+miles east). So, I tend to make the most out of my trips out there. Earlier this year, I purchased a bunch of frags from him, then went and got my taxes done at my accoutants house which was nearby. I brought the bags into the meeting with me so they didn't sit in the cold car as it was Feb. Then I drove home, acclimated them, and placed them in the tank. They are still in my tank and growing like crazy!

Example:

He had a box of Zoas. They were just wrappped in Wet Newspaper and closed up in a garbage bag. He told me those particular ones were shipped directly from Viatnam.

Corals are much tougher then they look

Generally, most LPS and soft corals are tougher than we give them credit. It's not unheard of for some to be exposed temporarily to the air during low tides.

I leave mine on the plug but I hide the plug in the rockwork so I do understand what you mean Kurt.

what about putty to hold them down to the rockwork? is there special underwater reefsafe stuff?

so do you even have the tank set up yet? Wat type of lights will you be running for your corals? Thats really the first thing you need to think about before learning how to get the coral in your tank... you will have plenty of time for research on corals as you set up your tank and start its cycle......

Good tips everyone! I have something to ask or add here, what about quarantining corals before putting them in the main display?? I have not seen that mentioned yet, but I have read in some post people do that with corals as well.

There are alot of folks that do but there is alot that dont. I personally do not QT my corals.

Back
Top Bottom