Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-28-2003, 03:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Coral Recommendations....

Hi guys (and gals),

I wanted some suggestions on possible coral choices for my 55gal tank. My set-up is currently a 55gal, 60lbs of Live rock, 4-5" of DSB, 1 Fluval 404 + 2 PH units, water flow is not an issue. I just purchased off of Ebay a 4X55 PC complete plug and play retrofit 2 10K and 2 Actinic ($119.00 Great Deal!) I have the following inhabitants:

1 Yellow Tang
1 Coral Beauty
1 Green Wrasse
1 Blue Chromis
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Emerald Crab

All tank level are normal, no problems at all....all healthy and happy fish.

Any suggestions? Since I am relatively new, heartier varieties would be preferred. Feeding and Care Requirements also would be appreciated

CrossRamZ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 04:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55 and i started off with a Mushroom Anemone. Very hardy and hard to kill . Low light requirements, no special feedning needed, so care is easy. I have since gotten several other corals but my favorite is my Fox Coral, AKA Jasmine.

Bill The Cat For President!
stresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 08:31 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
You have plenty of light for almost all softies, mushrooms, polyps, and LPS. The only thing I would pass on is sps.

IMO, I'd start with a few nice colors of mushrooms - these are extremely hardy, and come in a variety of great colors (red, purple, blue, green, etc.). Zoanthids are nice too - also very hardy and come in an awesome variety of colors.

Some nice LPS are Bubble corals, or a Candy Cane or Trumpet Coral - maybe a nice red or green Open Brain.

As long as your ca/alk levels are good, and stable, you have plenty of light for any of the above-mentioned. There are many many more to choose from - these are just some of my favorites, and easiest to care for, off the top of my head.

If you're venturing into corals, definitely try to pick up a copy of Eric Borneman's book- "Aquarium Corals, Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History". I consider it the "coral bible" for the reefkeeper.

Good luck - & if you have questions on any specific coral, ask away!

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 08:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks Reeflady!

That is exactly the information I was looking for, and thanks for taking the time to go into detail.
CrossRamZ11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com