Coral Skeletons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mailbox

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my tank up and running (cycling) for two weeks now and want to start thinking about some landscaping. I don't really want anything that will increase the maintenance as I am new to saltwater and want to get the hang of keeping the water quality pristine first.

I have a couple of coral skeletons that we found on the beach. Do I need to do anything to them in advance of putting them into the tank? It has been about three weeks since we picked them up there and they have been in the house ever since.

Also, any advice about when is a good time to add small plants? Would it be after the cylce is complete or is now ok?

FYI - I did a PWC this morning. Before I did it these were my stats:

Temp 81
PH 8.4
Alkalinity 2.4
Nitrites 20
Nitrates .1
Ammonia .5 ppm

So I am at the stage where my ammonia is starting to come down and the nitrates are starting to come up (which is about where I would expect to be after the second week based on what I have read.

Thanks in advance!

Everything looks pretty good. I would not do any more PWC`s till the cycle is done and then do a 40% PWC. I guess SW plants you are talking macro algeas since there isnt too many SW plants for the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom