Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Freebies on LR are so nice....

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via MSN to nicoff08
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i wouldn't recommend an anemone with that lighting.
i meant the mushrooms as the anenomes, sorry that wasn't very clear.

nicoff08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just a little note in regards to the torch coral. Make sure you give it plenty of room. It doesn't play nicely with other corals and sting the heck out of them.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by rive1404 View Post
Thanks guys. I don't think I'll be looking into any anemones. For the time being I'll be satisfied with just corals. I got what looks to be a tiny frag of torch coral from a FLS, and I'll try my luck with that. One of my live rocks did come w/ a free colony of zoas and they look to be thrivin under the lighting conditions so far and this really pink flourescent mushroom looking thing that I just can't ID.
If you can't run with the big dogs - stay on the porch! ***Adopt a retired greyhound ***
MsBeanCtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:11 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Uhhhh.... I second that. Don't make the newbie mistake I made and put the torch in the center of your tank where it can reach out in allllll directions! I actually witnessed my torch attacking my stylophora. Very interesting to watch, but I was also scrambling for my 6" tweezers to break up the fight! (Stylo got moved and has made a full recovery. Torch got pruned, and is going to be finding a new home soon!)
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
Coral like good flow as much or more then high light. You could get any coral or have a mixed reef. You would be limited in some corals placement. Like a SPS or LPS would like it up high and many coral maynot like it very low. MB sea fans or sun corals but the rest will want to be in the mid range. SO keep this in mind with rocks scape making space for them.

And the anemone might be fine but be sure water quality is high.
lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:29 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
T5 lighting does generate enough light to support most corals. If you are interested in SPS corals you will need them high in the tank. Digitata is a good option as they will grow under PC lighting, the only thing is they may not have the intense color they would under MH. Research the needs of each coral you are interested in before you purchase. Liveaquaria.com can help you out there.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus
I highly disagree with T5's being unsuitable for coral growth. Rive, I really do not see a problem in being able to house a large variety of corals including sps with your lighting. Take a long look at this thread for some ideas in regards to lamp choices/placements and par.

Reef Central Online Community - The T5 Q&a Thread

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, lighting, newbie, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com