Coral suggestions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Massimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello fellow reefers. My tank is about half a year old and I'm looking to fill it up with tons of coral.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm open to all kinds of corals, except for acropora and sps like that. I do like montipora tho.

I currently have 2 large colonies of hammer and frogspawn corals. 1 small colony of hammer coral. A large rock filled with gsp, a small rock of Xenia, open brain coral, hairy mushrooms and blue mushrooms.

Thank you:)

Well any montis are awesome IMO as an sps guy myself. But otherwise I love zoas, and acans. Duncan's are very nice as well

Every reef needs a duncan IMO. If you are into monti's, there are some really neat kinds and colors out there that you can research and look into. I stumbled upon a periwinkle with green polyps that I love, as an example.

What about a bubble coral?

I was thinking a bubble coral but I have high flow in my tank. Id have to find a perfect spot for it. I really like the "toxic green" colour morf of the bubble coral. It has such a vibrant colour.

Every reef needs a duncan IMO. If you are into monti's, there are some really neat kinds and colors out there that you can research and look into. I stumbled upon a periwinkle with green polyps that I love, as an example.

I would love a blue or red montipora frag. I don't know if my tank is clean enough for them tho. I do my weekly water changes it just that I'm scared that if they start to bleach, they won't recover.

If you are keeping LPS in the tank you should be fine with a monti. I had a power outage one summer that not only knocked out my powerheads, but the tank temp went up to 90-ish. I lost a handful of coral, and thought that my orange monti was lost with it being 'totally' bleached out. Through stable water parameters and time, it recovered and is thriving! Just a thought.

I just won a green monti on eBay. Will see how that works. I'm a big fan of some of the Zoa/Paly color combos that are out now. I agree that Duncan's should be on the list. Some of the favias and acans are pretty nice.

Like sniper said montis are actually pretty hardy. I love my setosa and "Jedi mind trick" undata as well as my "forest fire" samarensis and digis

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I'm gonna look for a large duncun colony and a monti frag from my Lfs. Then down the line i want to have a zoa garden.

Get a small one and watch it grow. Seeing the small heads start budding is pretty awesome. My ~50 headed colony started as 3 just a couple if years ago and my ~10 one isn't a year old in my system and started as two heads.

I agree with getting small. I have just started up a small reef and have what started as 2 Flaming Punk Rockers that have turned into 6 in less than 2 months. My King Midas have not spread yet. My Grandis Paly had two about a month ago, has three now with that looks like a forth growing. Pretty cool stuff to watch.

Back
Top Bottom