Coral Toxicity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sadial

Aquarium Advice Activist
What do newbies need to know about coral toxicity? A few minutes ago, I found this: Viewing article It's titled Aquatic Terrors, heh.

It seems like people put their bare hands in their tanks all the time. I don't have gloves - am I playing russian roulette? Is this a little sensationalized or a grim reality of the hobby?

Are you guys wearing safety goggles and rubber gloves when working with your corals?

The pictures on the link are really gruesome, as you can see.

Thanks

It is risky. If you are the better to be 5x too safe than barely not safe enough then you will probably want to wear gloves. I don't, and no else did at the shop I was running (including the guy paranoid about palytoxin). I have only ever heard of one real person (as opposed to the fake people who live in the internet) who has had palytoxin and that was someone who knew someone who knew someone.

i am more worried about what the stuff that's on my hands is going to do to my corals, than the other way around.

Agree with Mr X... at least for me, personally. Do I wear gloves all the time? No. But I do if I'm going to be reaching around in areas that I can't really see, or near my Ricordeas. (For some reason, those really leave a welt on me.)

But the toxicity issue is real, and could be a really bad problem if you are a sensitive individual. (And I"m not just talking about zoanthids and palytoxins.)

I always wear gloves now because I have a killer tang that u will need to get your hand stapled after he is done with you. And I have lots of bristle worms but my tank is going on 5 years old ! U never see them but feel them later.

I wear gloves if I'm going to be moving rocks or corals around or messing with the sand. Bristle worms can be a painful thing to grab with out them.

What kind of gloves do you wear? So afraid of getting the wrong kind and spreading bad stuff around...

Just plain ol' latex gloves. Just make sure you get the ones with no powder.

There are also several vendors out there that make shoulder-length gloves.

ok, good to know except one big problem for me... allergic ( like blow up and can't breathe) to latex... would the non latex medical gloves work too?

That's funny... after I posted, I thought to myself that I should've added... "unless, of course, you're allergic to latex!"

Yeah... the non-latex gloves are fine too. I've used both. You're just looking for something that doesn't have any powder or additive, and are inert.

Since you obviously have allergic issues already, I'd definitely be using gloves in your situation. Here's a source for long shoulder length gloves:

Reef Sleeves

I own some, and *think* they're non-latex, but if you're interested give the guys a call and ask for sure. (Really nice, helpful people at that place.)

Yep..called they are non latex...thanks again for that! The guy at the lfs did warn me that since I do have allergy issues I do have to be extra careful (I am also deadly allergic to bees) so thanks again for the tip!

To be honest I wouldn't worry. I've never heard of anyone getting stings from corals but I'm sure its happened if its on the internet. Most corals probably will only irritate the affected area but it also depends on your skin, etc. I have pretty tough skin and no allergies to anything so I'm not too worried. *knock on wood*. I would be more concerned about the corals, but as long as your hands are clean without any oily substances or chemicals on them you should be fine to stick your hand in the water and move your corals if need be.

bmw325cic said:
I always wear gloves now because I have a killer tang that u will need to get your hand stapled after he is done with you. And I have lots of bristle worms but my tank is going on 5 years old ! U never see them but feel them later.

Your tank sounds scary! Lol

To be honest I wouldn't worry. I've never heard of anyone getting stings from corals but I'm sure its happened if its on the internet. Most corals probably will only irritate the affected area but it also depends on your skin, etc. I have pretty tough skin and no allergies to anything so I'm not too worried. *knock on wood*. I would be more concerned about the corals, but as long as your hands are clean without any oily substances or chemicals on them you should be fine to stick your hand in the water and move your corals if need be.

This is really really not good advice to someone that has known major existing allergic reactions. Corals will sting, period. For some they will do nothing. Others, they'll leave a painful welt. Others, well... could be worse.

Back
Top Bottom