coral with weird names, what the heck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
so i'm looking into getting my first coral and for the life of me, i can't figure out where these corals got their names from. I have seen superman coral, bubblegum monster chalice, red dragon, Joe the Coral, Ponape nest, etc. what the heck? who or how to deal with these corals with strange names?

The strange names are the random trade names that everyone assigns them. This is most common with zoanthids and are generally named due to their particular color morph. Other than that all zoanthid's care requirements are exactly the same.

Another example is the ponape birdsnest, It's generally the same coral as the pink, green, hyacinth, and birds of paradise in that they are all birdsnest corals. The only real difference between them is the color morph.

Over time you will learn the coral types and everything starts falling into place.

so is there a datbase of the color morohs out there? how do i know my particular Batman coral isn't someone's Superman

Back
Top Bottom