Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Coralife 125 question

I don't run a very large sump, so water level fluctuates some from day to day, as it should.

The problem is, as water level drops, the microbubble level in the skimmer drops (as apparently the pump isn't working as efficiently). That makes the skimmer inneffective. If the water level rises, the pump delivers more water, and a well-set skimmer suddenly is overflowing.

Any have suggestions for making the pump a little more consistent? Maybe a ball valve to reduce flow a bit between the pump and the skimmer intake would level it off?

I realize the best solution is to have a separate baffled area in my sump for the skimmer, immediately after the tank, so the water level would stay the same in that area.

Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
n/m, I fixed this with a mod to my sump, I added a set of baffles for a bubble trap, which keeps the water in that part of the sump constant.
180G build thread

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote

125 gallon, coral, coralife

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com