Coralife Biocube 14 gal Relocation Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie Riz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
OK, so where to begin....I guess a little about me...

First, I still consider myself a rookie, even though I've had my aquariums for several years.

I have a 20-gal freshwater tank with 4 Angel Fish (we bought them when they were little and figured 2 would die right off, but they didn't - and here it is 4 years later and they are still alive and well, but a bit cramped.

My other tank is a 6 gallon saltwater Biocube with some live rock and a couple of clownfish. We had someone set it up for us, so I had no experience with actually putting it together and dealing with cycling.

My niece just gave me her 14 gallon Coralife Biocube saltwater aquarium, which has live rock, live sand, and some snails and hermit crabs (yet to be seen). She only had it for about 3 months (and probably did no maintenance), but she got it from someone who seemed to be relatively experienced with saltwater tanks. Last night, I put the live rock back into the tank, added the old water, and it's up and running.

So my questions....
I am wondering whether it would it have been better to start with fresh salt water? Will the tank have to go through a cycling process now that everything was disrupted by the move (I am assuming so). Will it be a shorter period of time than if we started the tank with new water? I have not yet tested the water - how long should I wait to do it? I figure everything is still settling. I'd love to add some plants to it. Do I do that now, or do I have to wait until the tank is stabilized? And if I do it afterwards, is there another period of stabilizing the tank will go thru? These are the only questions that come to mind now. If anyone else has other issues I should be concerned about, I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks!!

Angie

I don't think there's an issue with using existing water. In fact, it is probably better.

Assuming you did not have the rock out of water for an extended period of time, you could end up with a mini-cycle, but I don't think it'd be too bad. Given that you do have some creatures in the tank now, I'd keep some prime/stability on hand to help detoxify ammonia/nitrites if they pop up.

Now is a great time to test the water. Water changes can help if your params are out of whack. You want 0 for Ammonia/Nitrites and low nitrates are best.

Given how young the tank is, it will go through many changes over the next year or so before it is truly "stabilized". Keep up on maintenance, water changes, etc and watch your params, and you should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom