Coralife Biocube 29 - add ons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stepho725

Aquarium Advice Freak
So we finally decided to stop the search for the perfect used setup and buy new. We put $50 down on a new biocube and stand and will be paying the rest off within a week or so - just waiting on tax refund to come in.
Soooo yay! I'm very excited! And looking for what I'm going to need to really get things going in the tank.
I'm going to get a powerhead and heater for sure.
I'm not sure if I just get the Oceanic powerhead if it'll work well enough?
And the heater should be 150-watt?
Anything else I should consider adding to the setup in terms of equipment?
I think I will go with a refugium in one of the filter chambers, heater in the another chamber but not quite sure about the third chamber? Should I just do two chambers of refugium?
I know I don't want typical nitrate factory bioballs or filter pads...right??
Appreciate everyone's help! And so happy about finally getting things going!

Congrats on the new tank so happy to hear about your planned investments! definitely dont add bio balls my nitrates were up despite all my futile water changes until I removed them. I suggest fill the middle chamber with either crushed coral substrate or a media rack. the media rack is an awesome investment because it has three separate trays for different filter options. In my tank I have the water running through the stock filter on the first tray then through seagel on the second tray (which removes phosphates) and I have another crushed coral substrate on the bottom right before the water flows into the return chamber. As for heater the 150w sounds just fine. You really dont need a powerhead until you start adding some of your corals but thats up to you! Finally, for skimming make sure you get a quality skimmer. I am running the oceanic biocube skimmer which kinda sucks but i guess any skimmers better than none. Goodluck and have fun!

Looking at the Lee's protein skimmer as an option.
Still looking at powerheads but thinking possibly the hydor ones or maybe the maxi-jet by Marineland.
Also wondering which master test kit I should get - reef or saltwater?

Back
Top Bottom