Coralife HOB Super Skimmer 65G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dekz

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just set this thing up and I'm having some pretty serious issues. Even with the valve closed all the way, it is putting out an insane amount of foam/water. I set up a tube to just drain it back into the tank for now because otherwise I have to unplug it and drain the cup literally every 30 seconds.

The "bubble diffuser" is doing absolutely nothing. My tank looks like champagne.

i would return it. the 125 and 250 models are a little better, but the 65 is definitely about worthless. there are no remedies that i have seen.
check into an octopus HOB.

Do I actually need to remove the skimmate? Right now I just have it draining back into the tank because otherwise I wouldn't be able to leave it unattended, and it will fill a bucket in no time. Plus I don't want to waste gallons and gallons of RODI saltwater.

It's been 4 days now with no change :help:

umm..it's waste..it's the whole point of a protein skimmer. might as well take it off the tank and throw it across the street if it's not collecting waste from the system.
btw, did i tell you this product was not worth the cash? you get what you pay for.

mr_X said:
umm..it's waste..it's the whole point of a protein skimmer. might as well take it off the tank and throw it across the street if it's not collecting waste from the system.

You've misunderstood me. There is nothing in the tank, there is no waste. I want to know if removing the skimmate is required TO BREAK IN the skimmer.

I know what a protein skimmer does and how it works.

if you are getting skimmate, there is waste in the tank. looks like some new live rock in there to me.....I.E. waste, unless that's man-made rock. then, what exactly is filling the cup?
btw, there is no break in period for a coralife ss 65. it's just always bad. (IME)

mr_X said:
if you are getting skimmate, there is waste in the tank. looks like some new live rock in there to me.....I.E. waste, unless that's man-made rock. then, what exactly is filling the cup?
btw, there is no break in period for a coralife ss 65. it's just always bad. (IME)

The cup fills with clear water and white foam.

I don't believe that my base rock is man-made, but I'm not sure. My live rock is fully cured, it went straight from a running tank into this tank.

well, what i would do is get a better skimmer. you are going to need it anyway. that skimmer you have is not going to help more than aerating the water.

Back
Top Bottom