Coralife Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joester2k3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got it all hooked up and it has been running for the 24hour break in period.

Do i want to do a dry skim or wet skim. It gives you directions for both but i dont know which is what i should do hahaha does it matter?

Well you will get differing opinions on this, but I like my skimate to be wet. It seems like when it is wet it is just pulling more stuff out of the water. I think thought it is just personal preference.

I run mine as a dry skim. I think it ends up being the same as the bubbles break down it turns into the same gunk anyway. Either way is probably fine.

Mike

Alright sounds good. The only thing i dont like is how sensitive it is to water change. But i can live with that

For break in I would run it wet to get a good coat of slim on it. After break in I would run it leaner.

The skimmer is still producing micro bubbles even with the defusser any suggestions i dont like them in there :/

Did you remember to cut the output tubing to allow an inch in between the tubing and the sponge? I have had mine running for several days now, and am not having any problems with micro bubbles entering the tank....

Yea i cut it and everything but its like its coming up out the top of the diffuser box???

Well, then I can think of only 2 other ideas...

1) Rather than just messing with the red knob on the top right, try playing with the knob just above the powerhead. Perhaps there is too much water coming through the system?

2) Perhaps your sponges are clogged? Maybe take them out and rinse them good?

Paul

im having a dillema myself as to what protein skimmer i should get.. was looking at coralife but ive read it has a weak pump? is this true?

Did you get this problem solved, joester? I had the same problem you were having once I raised the water level. The water was overflowing the diffuser box, and the microbubbles were escaping into my aquarium...I did not appreciate it!!!

I took a variety of steps to correct the problem, unfortunately I did them all at once, so I'm not sure if it was the combination of the steps or one in specific that corrected the problem. Here's what I did:

1) On the back of the diffuser box, I put the latch designed for the sump instead of the hang on back latch...for some stupid reason, this allowed me to get the diffuser box stable, level and a few centimeters higher.

2) I took the diffuser box off and completely rinsed the sponges to make sure the problem was not clogged sponges.

3) I turned the red knob at the top right, so that it dropped the water level in the chamber, and then turned the black dial right above the pump UP to pump more water in. I noticed after I did this that the actual "wand" that creates the bubbles was forcing ALL the microbubbles straight up at a higher speed, and no bubbles were floating down and into the output.

So anyway, those were the steps I took and it corrected the problem. I also noticed after these steps that the skimming improved. I hope that helps! :)

I had the same problem with the micro bubbles and was able to solve it by just raising the foam pad up a little out of the diffuser box, keep it (foam pad) as high above the water line as possible. Good luck :) Boy i love this site.

GRRR!!! I am superlatively annoyed right now!!! I unplugged my skimmer to aquascape my rock. I got my rock all perfect, and then plugged the skimmer back in! The bubbles are now going down and getting sucked into the tank again!!! I have tried every suggestion, did exactly what I did last time, and this time lifted the sponge out higher, and nothing is working!!!

How absolutely irritating!!!! :(

Paul

I Cleaned it up and it seems to have worked :] The ammount of micro bubbles is very small now just some here n there and that doesnt bother me one bit.. Thanx Guys !!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom