Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Coralife Skimmers

Good morning everyone!!!!! Hope everyone had a great Easter

I had just called Coralife to find out where to purchase the replacment pad for their skimmers and the tech that I had spoke to said to use the Marineland bonded pad. I found it at petco for 5.99 per roll.

One other thing, I just bought a pack of the Marineland bonded pad and cut it to size but I still have micro bubbles coming out of the bottom of the diffuser box, and the other day I had add about 10 drops of Kent Marines Essential Elements to my tank, would this cause the micro bubbles or not?

Also I have not had any green or brown gunk in the collection cup for about 3 days now, is this normal? BTW thanks for all of the help. All the info on my tank is in my profile.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The micro bubbles could be air that was pushed out of the pores of the pad or collecting air bubbles drifting in the current. See if maybe the outtake of the skimmer is pushing bubbles out. If so, you might want to get a bubble reducer.

Don't worry if there's nothing in the cup. Just empty it when it's full. So long as those tiny bubbles are at work in the skimmer, it's only going to skim what proteins are floating in the water. It does become more active after feeding, which is why many coral foods advise to turn off the skimmer for a short period of time while feeding any phytoplankton. It skims it out.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
I replaced the white pad that came with my CSS125 with a normal 1'' filter pad. The white pad clogs too easily. I bought a roll of regular filter pad that is like 6 ft long and 4 ft wide for $4. I don't have problem with micro bubles escaping the difusser box.

Also, u can put AC and other media in the box I love the CSS... so convenient...

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just tried Fluval Water polishing padswhich I think will work, but I am going to have to find a diffuser somewhere still getting a little bit of micro bubbles from the diffuser.

I am getting bubbles from the outlet tube I have tried everything and nothing seems to work (ugh). Might have to call coralife again Monday.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
Try adjusting the box so that its top is a few millimeters above the water level. Same to the returning hose. HTH

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think Coralife make a bubble reducer. I'm not sure, but when you talk to them and if they don't have one ask if the bubble reducer for the CPR BakPak would fit. It might. It's a surface skimmer/bubble reducer for their skimmers. It's a box the intake of the skimmer goes into. The top of the box should be just below the surface of the water. It helps with both surface scum and bubbles.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
Old 04-22-2006, 11:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here are some pics of how I have the skimmer set up.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lots of tiny bubbles in there...LOL. Try lowering the bubble activity in the skimmer itself. Just a bit though. See if it helps.

Nov/2004
Old 04-23-2006, 07:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

TCTFish,
No that did not help I have tried adjusting it to where I had very little air going through the main chamber and The micro bubbles are still being forced through the outlet tube.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

And that's when a box comes in handy. That happens a lot with CPR BakPak skimmers. A good skimmer but does have it's quirks. The excessive out pouring of tiny bubbles is one of them. They however make a surface skimmer/bubble reducer to solve the problem. IMO, it's a way for the companies to get more of your money. Red Sea Prizm skimmers seem to be effective without the excessive bubbles. It's streamline too so it doesn't look so bulky either.

Nov/2004

Tags
coral, coralife, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com