Coralife SuperSkimmer 125 - First impressions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was out gathering parts and equipment for my new sump and ended up picking up the Coralife Super Skimmer for use with my setup.

I must say I am very impressed with the construction of this bad boy. I am replacing my AquaC Remora Pro and as far as I'm concerned the quality is far superior. I have not yet fired it up as I am still building my sump/fuge but I'll let you all know how it goes.

:oops: I was putting the new skimmer together and I took the output knozzle off the pump exposing the impeller. I set the remainder of the pump up on my desk and it fell and hit the floor causing the little white shaft the impeller spins on to break. What a nit-wit. I am thinking about using the Mag3 from my Remora Pro in its place. We shall see.

-Eric

hmm guess I can't use the Mag3 as it does not have a needle wheel impeller. Guess I just need to order a new impeller?

-E

I'm glad you made a post here! I'm working on getting the CCS 220 hopefully soon, and am looking forward to what you think about your new toy. This product has been highly recommended, so I'm sure its well worth the wait. :D

sorry for the double post, I really don't know what I'm doing wrong here! This is the third time I've done this. oops. :?

Double posts happen when you use the backspace key sometimes after making a post. Definitely post some performance results, I have been interested to see how these units perform.

i have 2 friends with them and they skim great but very touchy the things i dont like about it are the collection cup is held on by a threaded ring wich im shure will be a pain when it gets covered with saltcreep, if your using it as a hang on the intake pump has no way of sticking to the glass and just hangs thier by the hose and looks very unprofesional and im shure could pop off sooner or later,and the last thing is where the water returns has a little box lookin thing to stop the bubbles and gets dirty quickly and is kind of ugly.
but for a in sump set up its great.

I've got the 65.. great skimmer! I added a drain to the collection cup as the 65 model doesn't come with it. I will say it is a bit touchy if you skim more wet.. set the bubbles to hit just inside the collection cup neck and it does great!

I just got my 125 tonight also..Didn't start it up as a hang on b/c Im still working out my plumbing for my DIY sump (lloks like alot of us are)... I was a little screwed with the need for a 10"x 12" opening in the sump though... Do you guys think we can dump the hang on bubble diffuser, If I have bubble trap baffles in my sump?

if its in your sump i would get rid of the cup for shure mabey get a chunk of hose so it drains into the water instead of pouring down to it ,i forgot to mension that if it overflows in the cup it will spill onto the floor neilster1 must have noticed that isue too

i did with my 65... I angled the output hose to pour water on the sump wall before it gets to the reservoir.. think of how you pour beer into a glass to minimize the head. That seems to work for me, no microbubbles in the display.

i have crabs said:
if its in your sump i would get rid of the cup for shure mabey get a chunk of hose so it drains into the water instead of pouring down to it ,i forgot to mension that if it overflows in the cup it will spill onto the floor neilster1 must have noticed that isue too

Had a vacation accident, so I learned the hard way. When I moved the skimmer to the sump of my 55 i drilled the cup and put a hose barb in.. drains the cup directly into the sewer plumbing. No more overflows!

Great Ill ditch the bubble trap...plus I think I can get away with only using an 11" width in my sump...more room for the fuge!

I ran my css 65 for less then a day and it was picking up lots of nasty gunk. Can't believe everything it takes out was once in the aquarium. Only regret is i should've bought the biggest model they had.

What is the biggest model they have? I have a 175 and need a better skimmer, my old ETSS is just not cutting it on this size tank.

Man I didnt think it would be so hard to get another impellar. The LFS's don't have them. Telling me its going to take a couple of weeks. I hate it when you call a place and ask if they have something and they don't then they say "but I can order it for you!". I just wanna say "No kidding? I can too!". Thats the trouble with using these forums and being on the cutting edge, the LFS's never have anything talked about. Another example is LockLine.. I ask about LockLine and get a blank stare. I think a successful store would follow these forums and have stuff on hand for us instant gratification junkies!!!

Back
Top Bottom