coraline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No it's red or purple. To get some you may need to deliberately introduce some to your tank. What I did is got to my LFS, get a small rock with many colonies of purple algae and put it in my tank. You may want to acclimate it first so the algae doesn't die. It has worked for me so I hope it can work for you. After a week or two you can try to scrape of some algae and put the scrapings in the water.

It comes in green as well.. to know its coraline .. try to scrap it with your finger if it doesn't come off easily its coraline .. it doesn't start green comes in a verity of colors green pink purple and some shades of red/ marroon... it forms by extra calcium in the collum.. best way is to get some live rock from ur lfs that has a good amount on it and watch it spread.

It is basically a hard calcium deposit, hard to remove. Some people, including me, like the way it looks, others scrap it off. Everyone likes it on their rocks, at least I think everyone likes it. lol

I didn't know it came in green...
And in regards to the calcium deposit statement: is it even algae?

yeah coralline aglae is aglae, it consmes calcium, magniusium and srontium from the water, but having said that it also prevents the spread of many other pain in the butt algaes and it is still rather perty looking

mine went in stages first i had brown diatoms then i had green film algae that was always covering my glass now i have an explosion of coralline algae almost overnight it started covering my intake and back glass i wonder though why doesnt it really ever cover the front glass as much as the back?

we also clean our front glass more regularly, scraping off the spores and sending them somewhere else in the tank.

some coraline algae prefers high water flow. the suction of the intake may be greater (more preferable) than the calmer front area. ive seen it growing in a protein skimmer but not in the tank because of this.

Mine starts green and then turns purple. I continually scrape the coraline off the front of my glass and then I notice new coraline in other places on my glass.

when i was cleaning yesterday i noticed my powerheads are incrusted in coralline too hard to scrape off i just left it

Back
Top Bottom