Coraline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leahdanilalton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone....I just wanted to know if there was something out there that I could purchase or do that will promote coraline growth? Thanks in advance!

Leah

I'm by no means an expert, but what I've found is keeping the calcium up (say, above 400), and the phosphates down. But even more than that, is to have enough lighting. I recently upgraded from 50/50 flourscents to 4x65 PC, and it makes all the difference in the world.
Good luck
Matt

I noticed whenn I started to put that 2 part Kent stuff into my tank coraline algea started growing like crazy.

One of the greatest things that I noticed anectodaly to promote coraline growth is reef vital DNA. I couldnt understand why, but I took some diluted it, and checked it out on a high power inverted microscope, and bingo. There is a VERY high density of ~5 different species of coraline algae. That will get things jump started. After that, you have to have high calcium and alkalinity and you will have a purple tank.

Andrej

You need to test for calcium and alkalinity and use additives to keep the Cal around 400-450 and the alk around 9.5-11. Too much light will slow growth. I have NO strip light on my fowlr and I have a ton of coralline algae on my LR. Just keep the alk and cal in balance

I have been told that strontium will help with the spread of coralline and the calcium will help keep it healthy. This info is from a trusted LFS but I have never read or seen this info anywhere else.

...agreed overall.

The keys:

1) 4 watts of lighting per gallon (don't know about deeper tanks)
2) Calcium 400+ with Strontium
3) Good water flow
4) Vitamin suppliments

Note: when coraline grows, it will lapse for 1 month and then start to grow faster

Try: Seachem Reef Grow (watch PH levels) / Seachem Reef Suppliment (refrigerate)

Back
Top Bottom