Coraline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman29

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the perfect mixture of components to make coraline algae thrive?

Medium lighting with normal-high levels of alkalinity and calcium.. also coraline must be introduced to the system its not naturally occurring.

My side glass :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121104_112020.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121104_112020.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 91
Wow that's impressive so the light that comes stock in a light strip is that a lackluster light for the situation?

It can grow coraline algae. I've noticed a lot of times the best coraline growth I've seen has been in low light setups. Im running a 36" 6 bulb t5 tek elite so I'm in the very high range of light for my tank lol.

That is a lot of light lol any suggestions for lighting a 10 gal tank other then what I have that also won't break the bank?

A dual t5 or a small led panel would be fine for a 10

Thanks a lot I'm reading a lot of mixed reviews on them they say its a great light with a short life span

Aquaman29 said:
Thanks a lot I'm reading a lot of mixed reviews on them they say its a great light with a short life span

Which lights?

The mini t5 dual. I'm going to be converting from a 10 to a 40 if not big in probably a year so do u recommend just waiting til then to get a better light system?

Lighting a 10 gallon isn't very expensive so I would just upgrade as soon as you can.

I found a marine land led for 45 on foster and smith any knowledge of those

Not really reef capable.. you'll want 3w per diode for reef capable LEDs

I'd stay away from all of the Marineland LED units. They have weak LEDs and bad optics. It ends up looking like spotlights of white and blue shooting straight down into the tank.

There are better options like the Finnex Fuge and Fuge II LED lights you can find on amazon. They're way more powerful and spread light evenly over the tank. You'll be able to grow a lot more with them for about the same cost.

Aquaman29 said:
Like this one? Do you not need a hood for this?

That's it. No hood required but any mini-reef should have a glass hood just to keep evaporation down so the salinity stays more stable. Smaller amounts of evaporation make larger changes in salt levels unless you have an auto top off system.

I'd get the longer fixture. I forget just how long 10 gallon tanks are. If you want brighter light the Fuge II is great but I'd just get the original Fuge if it were me. 10 gallon reefs often have higher nutrient levels that make growing very high light loving corals a challenge. My old 10 gallon reef was jam packed for years with soft corals like toadstools, xenia, mushrooms, zoas as well as a few trumpets and various others. It had less light than the Fuge LED strip puts out. It's just an option to consider. Other members will have other ideas to consider.

I really like the looks of them. Do you suggest any replacement bulb for the time being until Im ready to order the led strip? Also I use purple up to help with the coraline growth.

Aquaman29 said:
I really like the looks of them. Do you suggest any replacement bulb for the time being until Im ready to order the led strip? Also I use purple up to help with the coraline growth.

What type of bulb does your current fixture use?

I'm not sure whatever the stock light is for the aqueon lights

Back
Top Bottom