Coraline algae, how vital is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PB_Smith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm wondering how big a role coralline algae plays in helping maintain reef parameters.

I read recently that coralline algae is big factor in the de-nitrification process, breaking down nitrate. It makes sense as most algae utilize nitrate and phosphate. (wish I could find that link again :facepalm:)

What has been your experience and do you think coralline is vital part of a healthy reef system?

Do think the size/amount and health of the coralline algae in a system has a direct correlation to the nitrate/phosphate levels?

Also, any tips on how to promote it's growth? I have a few patches here and there of purple/pink, 3 hermits whose shells are covered and a small rock covered, but it seems to not want to grow elsewhere or very fast.
I do have spots of white and green coralline growing on the back/sides, but it's ugly.:(

I don't think it does much except use up elements (calcium as well) and makes the rock purple. I think it's completely unnecessary for a healthy system. It's the reason I don't use halimeda in my refugium- I save calcium for the corals.
Take some of the coralline and crush it up in front of the power head. It will spread all over the place in a short time.

Yea, it doesn't do much but eat up alk and cal in the tank, and make your arm hurt from scraping the stuff off the glass. No reason to have it in your tank.

only in one of my tanks could i ever get corralline to grow its not a big deal if you dont have it

Back
Top Bottom