coraline and algae queston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neil_04

Aquarium Advice Activist
so my tank has been up and running for about 4 months my coraline is growing nicely will i always have green and purple or will everything eventually turn purple? i ask because some of my green turned purple in the ast week or so, just wondering. Also i have qhat looks to be hair algae growing in a few areas is it bad to have this? My clown fish lays down in it sometimes like its and anenome thanks for the help guys

Yes it will turn purple.
Hair algae is an indication of excess nutrient in the water and can take over your tank.
How much/often/what are you feeding?
What are you water parameters?

yea clralline will set in purple among other colors, I have purple, pink, red, green, and this odd bluish grey(more blue) as far as hair algae goes, like what ROKA said if possible id remove the rock and scrub the algae off, you dont want it setting up shop in the tank, it will take over but it will also choke out so to speak your corals and end up killing them and overgrowing them. your clown will be fine without it

omg hair algae.....take them out as soon as you can..
I have them before when I m still new to aquarium, I thought they r good but
in just a night, they grow like crazy and cover 3/4 of my live rocks.....
as juice said take that rock out...give it a nice clean,
also keep your eyes on other place in your tank that might also have them.

don't even wait till tmr, do it now to keep it under control!!

im feeding everyday but i skip a few days a week same as my freshwater, lights are running for 12 hours, i feel like this is to much my freshwater only runs for 9 hours.
its still a new tank so my water parameters move here and there but i keep things pretty close to normal and check everyday.
I started pulling it off is there anything that will eat it and is reef safe?

also i have millipede looking things in my tank they are bright purple are these bad

lowering your nutrients in the water will eliminate the "food source"..this is what I did:(my tank was still fairly new and understocked) I used an old tooth brush and gave my rocks a good scrubbing, I did a large water change, 30% give or take basically a little less than 1/3 of the water. bought a couple big turbo snails and a pincushion urchin(or tuxedo urchin)...urchins are notorious for grazing on algae. the water change was to remove alot of nutrients quickly, turbo snails( i did 1 per 2 gallons)...I went to feeding every 3-4 days and that solved my problem so far, tank has been clean for like 4 months now, now green in sight and my coralline is really taking over. the reason I say remove the rock if possible is because if you pull it/scrub it off in the display, the pieces that float away will just spread the algae around your tank if you dont get um. you could also reduce your lights a bit. just a thought

what eats hair algae: turbo snail, lettuce nudibranch's, sea hares. I went with an urchin more for fashion but it is effective IMO but urchins tend to have a 50/50 rap, some like um some dont. sea hares are great but they will starve to death with no algae to eat along with the nudibranch. truth is, there is no...easy way so to speak of ridding it from the tank. not like my nitrates are kind of high, do a water change, nip the root problem, high phosphate/ nutrients

Millipede looking thing?????.....

Hi,
I was just reading what you said about hair algae and then noticed your comment about a Millipede looking thing, there is only one Millipede type looking thing I know of, and I have one, and its a nightmare!!!!

Have you ever heard of a Mantis Shrimp????:evil:

Do you ever hear clicking or tapping in your tank?

Have inverts going AWOL?

If your not sure what Im on about then you should check out Youtube and type in Mantis Shrimp

Good Luck:onfire:

High Nitrates? Phosphates?....

My Nitrates and Phosphates are completely under control thanks to Vodka!!:D

Good Link!! - not seen that many variants myself before, however not all very millipede looking are they?

Back
Top Bottom