Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Coraline and lowest lighting success

Just wondering what the lowest lighting is that anyone has had success with growing or maintaining coralline.

Reason I ask is my 30g make shift fuge sits right next to my 75g visible to all. It houses my macros and some vary nice base rock under wally world shop light fixtures. Daylight 60 watts and about 4 and a half inches of play sand. Its been up for about 4 months.

It also now has a fire fish goby in it that wasn't quite cutting it in the 75 with the other community fish and now that it has a place to call its own is faring much better. Also some nassaris snails and a few scarlets. I guess technically you really couldn't even call this thing a fuge anymore by the strictest definition.

Since its out in the open and I would like to pretty it up a bit by hopefully adding some LR with some coraline. Maybe from my DT or buy some. I figure I will probably have to spend some money and get at least a PC fixture for it if I want this to happen.

If anyone has a cheaper alternative by all means please let me know.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a NO strip with 2 48" URI 40 watt bulbs and I have tons of coraline in my 55 fowlr.
never dose anything, only do regular 16-20 gallon water changes.
The URi bulbs are great and give nice color.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

So are you saying the shop light fixtures I have may already be enough? Not sure what uri bubls are.

There are two of them, compact florecents each with a color rateing of 2800. They do fine for the macros.

I guess one way to find out would be to take a small peice of LR out of my DT and place it in the fuge. If the coraline begins to die off I will have my answer.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a 4700 K Home Depot shop light hanging over my fuge, which is covered in coralline. If the conditions are right, coralline will thrive under many lighting conditions. HTH and Good Luck!
Old 12-02-2005, 01:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
I don't wat to steal the thread but, since we're on the topic of coralline.

How long does it take for it to start spreading in a tank?

I have had a 12 gal. eclipse running for about 4 months and my coralline hasn't spead. At on point it started to fade. but now its turning darker. I think i have white coralline rather than purple. is that normal?

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hehe just to add something interesting here, i am not even sure they need lights, i got lights out for 1 month and coralline in my tank go nuts, I had no or little of any of them and after 1 months, my side glass cover with them which can't even see thru.(After my lights on again normally, most got rip off by my urchin,lol)
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
coraline algae usually prefers lower to no light.

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Promoting coraline algae growth has more to do with 1) intoducing it into the system and 2) having a higher CA level with the proper ALK/CA balance. Lighting actually has little to do with it.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
Promoting coraline algae growth has more to do with 1) intoducing it into the system and 2) having a higher CA level with the proper ALK/CA balance. Lighting actually has little to do with it.
How do you introduce it into your system? Would LR introduce it?

What are the proper CA/ALK levels?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a 10g with LS and LR. Been up, I don't know, 'bout 6 months. I've never changed the water, never cleaned the nano filter (HOB). Just top off and have a single 10w 50/50 self ballasted bulb in it. It grows pink and purple algea better then any of my larger tanks. 1 crab (hermit) some mushrooms that I would have otherwise thrown out. Not sure this helps the coralline question, but I put little to no effort in my experimental tank and thats the smallest 50/50 lighting I could find.

Tags
coral, coraline, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com