Coraline fading away :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was lucky enough to get some nice LR with bold orange coraline....i have 2 rocks and both the orange is slowing fading and coving with blah brown/green alge.
I hope to have my RO/DI system hooked up and plan to do a considerable water change....maybe do it a times spead out.
I have dual VHO currently totalin 220 watts
Is there anything I can do to help get it to grow back or to get purple coraline to grow.
Everyone flames me if i ask about additives - is this a no no or is there coraline stuff to get?

The "orange" you're referring to I'm pretty much 100% sure that's a sponge. Sponges have always come and gone in every tank I've had; they never really quite die out... they'll go away or seem to disappear/die off, and a week later they're blooming again. The algae you're referring to shouldn't over take the sponge - the sponge usually resides on top of this layer and even on top of coralline. I've never had much interest in sponges or I'd have read up on how to keep them flourishing... I'm sure they require specific minerals that could be supplied in an additive. Other than that, all I know is that they are filter feeders.

interesting...ill take some pics but my dig cam isnt that great
i heard coraline comes in a varity of colors depending on the area it comes from so i just assumes it was coraline of some type
if it is sponge then its the flattest thinnest sponge ive ever seen :)
I do want to get purple coraline going.....whats the hold back? the lights? i cant afford to add to them right now....just spent alot on remodeling my kitchen :p

The 150g we have has a neon green sponge all over the rockwork with purple coraline underneath it. It has little tiny tubes for water intake...

You should have enough for coraline, it just takes forever to grow. At least for me - I've got tons of light.

Back
Top Bottom