Coraline on the back glass.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thebradybunch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have coraline growing on a lot of my LR and I would like to get it to cover my back glass. I have what appears to be brown algea groing on my glass that is easily removed with a mag float. How can I tell if this is brown algea or coraline? If it is coraline I want to leave it alone and let it grow.

Does Coraline just start as pink/red dots on the glass?

Thanks

Brady

If I'm remembering correctly, I think your tank is pretty new. If that's the case, I'd guess that the "brown algae" on your back glass are probably diatoms. They show up fairly quick after (or during) your cycle, and disappear just about as quick... but not normally quick enough for most people's liking!

You're right... coraline will show up as pink or red or greenish splotches that slowly get bigger. I never cleaned my back glass from day one, and it's now a coraline algae sanctuary!

I agree with Kurt. Also, what lighting do you have on your tank. Coraline is a low light algae. It grew best when I had NO fourescents.

I am have 4 CFs 2 actinics and 2 12000k total 260w. I am looking to uograde next month. The coraline is growing well on my rock. I mainly want to make sure I am not cleaning it off the glass before it has time to show itself.

If it`s growing well on your LR then it wont be long before it`s on your glass. The only bad part is it wont limited to your back glass. You`ll be scraping all your glass if you know what I mean LOL.

I agree with Kurt. Also, what lighting do you have on your tank. Coraline is a low light algae. It grew best when I had NO fourescents.

If coraline is a low light algae then how do these tanks with the powerful MH get so much coraline algae to grow?

Time. My coraline algae grew much faster when I only had NO lights. With each light upgrade it still grows, just slower. It still covers any ph or other equipment that I put in the tank.

Give it time. You'l be scraping it off the glass before you know it.

So since I am kind of starting over again. Should I turn off my 10k and aquasun bulbs for now and only use the super actinic until I have alot of coraline algae?

Back
Top Bottom