Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-16-2003, 12:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Corallife Aqualight

Hi everyone, quick question.

I've got a 37 Gallon Tall, with about 4 inches of live sand, and ~ 41 lbs of live rock. Now, the live rock is built up in most places to about half the height of the aquarium.

If I want to keep corals, I have been told that a Corallife Aqualight 30" would suffice. They have two 65 Watt flourescent bulbs. I would say that there couldn't be more than 30 Gallons of water in the tank. Granted, I will have to make sure that my corals etc... are a bit closer to the light due to the height of the tank, but do you think I could get away with these lights? The LFS seems to think so.

Also, and equally important, are you familiar with Corallife Aqualights? Are they quality lights? I like that they have a fan, and independent switches. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful in my purchase.

Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 12:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via Yahoo to aimeovaldi
I hace a set of the 2X96 36" coralife lights and they are great. Check on EBAY for the best prices. 130 watts for 37 gallons will be ok for most corals, IMO.

Anthony Eovaldi
aimeovaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 01:41 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Although I have never had one of the lights you are talking about, all of the Coralife products I have seen and owned were of very good quality. IMO, if you intend to keep soft corals and other low light inverts, the Coralife fixture would be great. If you want to get into SPS corals, anemones, ect...I would seriously look at a MH with PC actinic setup. JMHO.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have the 2x55w fixture on my 55g tank. I keep mushrooms, a toadstool, and xenia in it without a problem. I think they are an excellent light thus far, and the money savings is an added bonus!
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:40 PM   #5
Send a message via AIM to brewercm
I have the 4x65w version on my 75 gallon and love it. Like the other member mentioned, check Ebay. That's where I bought mine and much cheaper than any LFS.
brewercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:21 PM   #6
Send a message via AIM to colorblindpicas
I'm another satisfied customer of the Coralife Aqualights. I have the 4X65w on my 55 gallon and have not had any trouble with it in over two months of operation. I got mine from eBay. It was some guy in the Dallas-area who does all sorts of light and tank sales. The light was just over $200 with shipping. So definitely check there before you buy anything.

colorblindpicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:34 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus
I have the same as colorblindpicas. My only complaint is the fact that the cords exit the fixtures on the ends, which makes it difficult to place two of them end to end on my 55. But other than that, seperate power cords, seperate switches and built in fans makes them great pieces of hardware, IMO.
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Zack
I also have a 2X55 watt on a friends tank i work on. He keeps all kinds of good soft corals without much trouble.

Zack is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com