Coralline algae and Jar reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. It's just there's so many negative posts about failures! Also do I need a protein skimmer and what will it do?

NatureFish
????

Just a tip - put your rock in first so it sits on the bottom of the tank and add the sand around it. That will keep your rock work more stable. I don't think you will need a skimmer for this tank. I also don't think you need to drop acclimate corals, just fish and inverts. Some people recommend a coral dip before adding. For zoas I usually just place them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just a tip - put your rock in first so it sits on the bottom of the tank and add the sand around it. That will keep your rock work more stable. I don't think you will need a skimmer for this tank. I also don't think you need to drop acclimate corals, just fish and inverts. Some people recommend a coral dip before adding. For zoas I usually just place them in.

Corals need the drip acclimation more than fish do, however inverts absolutely need the drip acclimation.

Do you feel that saltwater is more rewarding than freshwater? I feel like SW is so much work that you will appreciate it when your corals, fish and inverts are healthy its the same thing with fresh water too so I'm not too sure why I take this side. Of course I have yet to experience salt water so we will see how true this will be.

NatureFish
????

That's too personal of a question tbh. Some people find other things more rewarding than other people. Personally, I find both to be equally rewarding. However, I take fresh water to a bit of an extreme that most people don't follow.

That's too personal of a question tbh. Some people find other things more rewarding than other people. Personally, I find both to be equally rewarding. However, I take fresh water to a bit of an extreme that most people don't follow.

That's a good point. It really depends who you are and to what level you take your aquarium.

NatureFish
????

Corals need the drip acclimation more than fish do, however inverts absolutely need the drip acclimation.

I disagree. Fish are usually kept in lower salinity systems while coral are kept where we keep our reefs. I haven't dropped corals in god knows how long. But when you are first starting its a good idea to drip everything. Always always dip corals, you'll get burned eventually not dipping them.

I disagree. Fish are usually kept in lower salinity systems while coral are kept where we keep our reefs. I haven't dropped corals in god knows how long. But when you are first starting its a good idea to drip everything. Always always dip corals, you'll get burned eventually not dipping them.

The overwhelming majority of fish can handle a salinity change much much easier then corals can. That being said, if you think acclimating a fish is dropping it in a reef tank from hyposalinity conditions then you need to look at your acclimation methods.

Lol I agree with you there. That's why It's always good to check the salinity of the animals store water because I've known of stores that don't tell you that there fish are kept at lower salinities...

Ok so I'm going to continue my research and hopefully I can start this project soon.

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom