Coralline algae and Jar reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for all that you guys do you guys are very kind to give advice and take time away from your day!

Do zoas need to be fed? And if so what do I feed them? Do they need filters if they are kept in my 10g?

NatureFish
????

Do zoas need to be fed? And if so what do I feed them? Do they need filters if they are kept in my 10g?

NatureFish
????

The numbers of corals that actually need to be fed are few and far between. Some can benefit from feedings but most get all the nutrients that they need from light. The non photo synthetic corals tend to be a bit more difficult to keep alive as they need regular feedings. So no, zoas don't need food. I've never actually managed to get mine to eat either. However, palythoas have a strong feeding response.

The live rock works as a filter but they will still need some sort of powerhead for flow.

How does the live rock do that? Where is the best place to buy it?

NatureFish
????

What do you do to care for zoas? Keep in mind I've never kept corals so you might have to explain this a bit more than you normally would. Are they toxic? And now that we've established I'm going to do this in my 10 gallon would pulsating Xenia still be an option and how do you care for those?

NatureFish
????

All corals have the same basic requirements for parameters. Low nitrates and acceptable levels of ph, calcium, alkalinity, and phosphate along with proper lighting.

Stony corals require more stringent control of phosphate and nitrate while soft corals such as zoas and mushrooms are more forgiving.

A 10g would give you some more room for pulsing xenia to fit in.

You will want to shoot for approximately:
Ammonia / nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate less than 10ppm
Calcium - 360ppm +
Alkalinity - 8.0dkh +
pH around 8.0 - 8.5
Phosphate 0.1 ish

That being said, your water parameters should stay stable with just weekly 10% ish water changes depending on nitrate.

Looks like I will need a better way of testing water quality since all I have is test strips. Before I get any coral don't I need to cycle it? I'm not keeping fish so is it necessary?

NatureFish
????

Are you for sure doing it in the 10g, or do you still need your parents permission? I would start getting stuff set in stone before you plan too much.

Here's my honest opinion on this matter. Don't do the pico reef. If you forget to top off one day your salinity is going to skyrocket and probably kill everything. Do a 10g, you can have a fish and it will be easier to keep parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you for sure doing it in the 10g, or do you still need your parents permission? I would start getting stuff set in stone before you plan too much.

They haven't said no but they haven't said yes so it's not very clear whether or not I have permission but I still want to plan as much as I can because its very likely they will agree to it.

NatureFish
????

Here's my honest opinion on this matter. Don't do the pico reef. If you forget to top off one day your salinity is going to skyrocket and probably kill everything. Do a 10g, you can have a fish and it will be easier to keep parameters.

I will be doing the ten gallon if I'm allowed to.

NatureFish
????

Everything I get must be ordered... :(
My LFS does not have anything at all for saltwater aquariums so either I drive 2 hours or order online

NatureFish
????

I'm going to set up a thread and see if I can find anyone down here in Texas.

NatureFish
????

So are pulsating xenias toxic when cut open or is that just mushrooms? And what about zoas? And do I need to cycle the tank even though I'm not interested in adding any fish?

NatureFish
????

So are pulsating xenias toxic when cut open or is that just mushrooms? And what about zoas? And do I need to cycle the tank even though I'm not interested in adding any fish?

NatureFish
????

Yes, cycling the tank is absolutely necessary. Zoas and Palythoas are the toxic ones. Mushrooms, I've never heard anything about them being toxic. Just don't eat them, get their juice in your mouth or eyes, or boil them and you will be fine. It helps to wear gloves and wear a face mask. I got some in my mouth accidentally once and it made my mouth go numb for hours. Wasn't particularly excited about the potential ramifications but everything turned out to be fine.

What's you budget for this build? It's a neat idea, just want to make sure you know what you are in for cost wise. It ain't going to be cheap!

I don't have a set budget but I'm aiming for less than $100

NatureFish
????

What's you budget for this build? It's a neat idea, just want to make sure you know what you are in for cost wise. It ain't going to be cheap!

So it's expensive? We scratched out the pico idea so we are doing we ten gallon idea. The zoas I found on reefs2go are only 9.99 for 5 heads on each plug and Xenia were the same price so that's not an issue. The power heads were around $20 and then I don't know the cost of lights or the cost of live rock/sand.

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom