Originally Posted by NatureFish
So are pulsating xenias toxic when cut open or is that just mushrooms? And what about zoas? And do I need to cycle the tank even though I'm not interested in adding any fish?
Yes, cycling the tank is absolutely necessary. Zoas and Palythoas are the toxic ones. Mushrooms, I've never heard anything about them being toxic. Just don't eat them, get their juice in your mouth or eyes, or boil them and you will be fine. It helps to wear gloves and wear a face mask. I got some in my mouth accidentally once and it made my mouth go numb for hours. Wasn't particularly excited about the potential ramifications but everything turned out to be fine.